OT: Disc Parking

Hi all,

Just want to blow off some steam here but if anyone can see a way out of this I'd be grateful :)

I got back from a holiday in the Lake District recently which was marred by a PCN I got in Keswick. We parked in a white dashed box and the parking sign said "Disk Parking - 2 hours maximum stay". I've been driving for 10 years and honest to God I've never come across disc parking before. As "disc parking" is a statement, not an instruction I didn't think that meant much, plus I thought (incorrectly as it turns out, has the highway code silently changed on me or have I had it wrong all along?) that the absence of dashed yellow lines meant no restrictions. Of course 90 mins. later I returned to find the dreaded PCN. I've appealed and had that rejected by a polite but condescending and officious council worker.

Later I noticed that in Windermere and Ambleside, those same signs have blue notices with them explaining exactly what disc parking means which is completely fair IMHO and if I'd have got caught out there (which I wouldn't have been) I wouldn't be complaining.

Also I just found this:

And the forums at
are rife with disgruntled visitors. What's more annoying is that I was going to appeal to NPAS but have just discovered that to do so I have to wait for the "Notice to Owner" which will arrive after the discount payment period ends so in effect appealing to NPAS and failing will cost me a further £30. Swines.

Is it me or is the decriminalisation of parking offences just an excuse to get parking issues out of the courts and, by the way, prevent people from taking officials to court over what they think are bad decisions?

One thing is for sure, I'm never going to Allerdale again. Anyone had similar experiences?

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Peter Spikings ( snipped-for-privacy@spikings.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Correct.

It's a statement that "disk parking" is in force - ie, you need a parking disk to park there...

"I saw the signs, but didn't understand what they were, so I ignored 'em. Will you let me off?"

I'm actually genuinely gobsmacked you've never come across the concept before. It's not *that* unusual. Not common, but not exactly unknown.

You didn't think to ask a local what it meant?

Reply to
Adrian

I'll grant it implies it, but it doesn't state it. "Display parking disc" would be a huge improvement.

I would have hoped for a bit of discretion there. As they haven't I'm going to exercise mine and never return.

Honestly, hand on heart... :) Where are you based?

IIRC there weren't any around. The locals have been caught out lots recently too BTW going by the forum posts.

Normally I'm a stickler for obeying parking rules, yes I should have realised I needed to do something different but I didn't.

What do you think about the point I made that it's going to cost me (if I fail) £30 to appeal?

Reply to
Peter Spikings

i must admit that i have never come across this form of parking. a permit that you set to the time you parked up.

Reply to
bongo

Peter Spikings ( snipped-for-privacy@spikings.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In a town that tried disk parking for a year, then gave it up as a bad idea... And, no, it wasn't a new concept for me then.

I've come across it in umpteen places - here and abroad. Hell, I think I've got several disks from various towns kicking about somewhere.

I think you're on a loser - just try to minimise the fine. If you appeal

*within* the discount period, they *should* give you an opportunity to pay the discounted fine after the appeal fails, but that may be a discretionary thing. I know it worked for me years ago when I failed to notice that one side of the road was resident only.
Reply to
Adrian

Well, I've got one too now :)

It might be an interesting exercise to see how many people here haven't come across it yet and in what areas they live. Any from Bucks? :)

Yes, I already appealed to the council and failed so they've given me a further 14 days to pay the £30. If one gets to this stage and wants to take it up with NPAS (which I won't as I'm bound to lose), the independent adjudicator, I *have* to wait until the Notice to Owner arrives, 28 days after the PCN was issued / appeal with council rejected. At which point of course the fine is £60 :(

Cheers,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Peter Spikings ( snipped-for-privacy@spikings.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm about a mile away...

Swallow your pride. Pay the £30.

Reply to
Adrian

I know how they work. The nice lady from Europcar explained them to me when I picked a car up at Jersey airport.

Reply to
SteveH

Same here never heard of it either.

I would pay and put it down to experience. I wouldn't let it ruin the chances of you going back there though. I guess its easy for me to say no doubt if it was me I would want launch a rocket at it. But once I've calmed down and see clearly I would pay and if it was a nice place maybe go back.

Reply to
magicman

New one on me - Liverpool

...having said that, i've got a disabled badge and i've STILL been ticketed in the past for:

a) parking where a traffic warden confirmed was OK (by the police for "obstruction" - complete bollocks...)

b) parking in a loading bay for 10 minutes to pick something up - where no closer parking was available - and the only disabled parking nearby was being abused (5 or 6 cars parked backing out onto the main road where only two parking spaces were available, blocking traffic in the process) - none of whom were ticketed.

F*ck shopping in Liverpool now, all my non-grocery trade goes to Manchester or online shops.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I've never come across it. How does it differ from permit only parking?

The only way to tackle the constant hassle of paying to park is to go elsewhere. The town centres here (Medway) are dying, in fact some are dead just no one has turned the lights off. Local council is trying to "revive" them but a blind man could see that those who they need to attract to spend money are voting with their wheels and going to places that are clean, with decent access and parking.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Brian Reay ( snipped-for-privacy@website.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Simple - you can pick a parking disk up from any local shop, free. Dial in the arrival time, and you park for

Reply to
Adrian

Used a lot in Germany (where I first saw it) - Wife got a fine, as she had never used, or heard of it before. Only 30 DM in those days.

Graham

Reply to
Graham2

I've never heard of it either, but there again i would have read the sign and thought "sounds like i need something to-do with a disc to park here and parked elsewhere" or at least thought "it doesnt say unrestricted parking"

So i must ask,. Waddisit?

I'm in Manchester.

Reply to
Tom Burton

I understand where you are coming from because some years ago we encountered the same disk parking and had not got a clue where to obtain the disk. Lucky for us a local told us about it but it does not excuse the local authority for not properly signalising their use for visitors outwith their area. Adrian's comments are I feel are not helpful re swallow your pride and pay. That is the whole pretext the current fine fixed penalty system operates on. Make it difficult to complain and poor sod will pay the fine. That's £30, thank you very much sir ! If you photographed the display notice and the lack of proper signalisation then as they say a picture is worth a 1000 words then I would have thought the council had the obligation to furnish correct instructions for users. As for getting them from filling stations and newsagents / supermarkets, I can honestly say I have had great difficulty and state St Andrews Scotland as a case in point. We drove round for ages trying to find somewhere that had a stock.

Having used one, I cannot see their real purpose as the traffic wardens just log your reg into their hand held anyway as they pass by. If you are there when they next pass by, you get a fine regardless.

Best of luck.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Having previously paid a technically correct but extremely "unsporting" ticket (which I was actually advised to appeal by the traffic warden), I would certainly appeal if there was no sign nearby explaining what "Disk Parking" was. Everywhere here there are signs saying "Pay At Meter" and full instructions on the meter. Or Pay & Display carparks with big noticeboards explaining how everything works.

I've only ever seen it once, I think. In fact IIRC, it was some sort of Scratch & Display voucher system, not a disk...

Reply to
David Taylor

I'm from Berks and I've come across disc parking many times both here and in France. It's especially widely used in Cumbria.

I sympathise with your predicament if it was poorly signed however; I would be minded to appeal it if you can spare the time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I travel around a fair bit but have never, ever seen disc parking in the UK. On the continent yes, and Jersey, but here never. So there will be some who don't know what it means. Where else in the UK do they have them then, so I can avoid those places as well!

Disc Parking by definition requires that you obtain something specific to the area in which you are in. That's no different really to 'pay and display' parking, but normally then you'll find a machine within a few metres of where you have parked. You don't have to go and find a council office or somewhere. (Mind you that doesn't stop the determined parking attendant. I once parked up in Ilfracombe, got out and walked straight to the meter about

20 paces away, got ticket, turned round to see a ticket being put on my windscreen for failing to display) The idea of using discs in a tourist area therefore is a nonsense.

Judging by the comments on the council's forum it looks like they've done an excellent job of totally alienating locals and visitors alike. Some beaurocrat in Allerdale must be very pleased with their efforts.

BobC

Reply to
BobC

Alt Beer

Have a look in the parking ticket section here

redwood