OT: Keeping insurance up on a car I sold

They didn't ask.

I already did. As it turned out, I bought it six months later, having retained my full NCB.

Reply to
Cecil Cholmondley-Potter

AIUI you cannot insure a vehicle that does not belong to you.

I'd be *very* surprised if that were so (quite apart from the obvious instance of a rented car). Bill may be quite happy to let his pal, Fred, drive his car frequently but he (or both) feel unhappy about the prospect of B losing his NCB whilst F was driving. So F, too, insures the car in his own name. Maybe there's a cheaper way, but no insurer would turn down such business.

Reply to
DB.

Hi. Can you give me a few models or makes that I should keep an eye out for?

--Nik.

Reply to
Nick

never had a problem insuring a car that wasn't in my name if they kick up a fuss you tell them that you are still waiting for the full payment of the vehicle to clear, though the new owner has had the log book transferred into their name because they wish to insure it this way, if they find that they won't be able to finish paying off the money, you can still "legally" drive the car back to your house without any problems

Reply to
dojj

Honda: Transalp, Africa Twin Yamaha: TDM850, Super Tenere BMW: R1100GS, F650

The larger ones _may_ be a bit steep to insure, however, it's not a given as insurance on stuff like this is a lot cheaper than on a plastic crotch rocket.

Reply to
SteveH

I couldn't find the Transalp listed on ebay, but the Africa Twin looks like something I would consider.

Hmm, I didn't find that anything but the BMW's insterested me. Perhaps I will feel differently a month when I've managed to ride a few of 'em.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Try XLV600 or XLV650. Technically the 'real' model name, IYSWIM.

They're like a smaller Africa Twin.

You'd need to do an advanced search on the BMW R1100GS to find it, as all, R1100s show up on the same search if you do a basic one.

Searching on Yamaha TDM there's well over 50 results nationwide.

Reply to
SteveH

The question is there on every motor insurance proposal form.

When is say 'you cannot' - what I mean is 'you cannot legally' !

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

The insurance on rented cars is in favour of the rental company - in effect you are paying the rental company's costs in insuring the car for you to use.

Bill may be quite happy to let his

If you enquire with insurance companies I think you will find that I am right. You cannot insure a motor car that does not belong to you - and the moment you sell your car your insurance (unless pre-switched to a new car) becomes invalid.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Usually you can't get insurance for something that already has insurance. Fred, if stating all the facts, probbably would only be able to get third party only insurance on Bill's car.

Reply to
adder1969

Who are these "Fred" and "Bill" of which you speak?

Reply to
gazzafield

That's for the help. When I said that nothing but the BMW's interested me, I meant HONDA. :)

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Yes , you can. You have to tell the insurance company you don't own it , but that's it, they don't care.

Reply to
DuncanWood