OT: red light violation

I think my favourite set of lights are near Brielle in Holland. It's an 80 kph limit, with a peak time 50kph limit at the right-angled crossroads. A dual carriage-way crossing a straight single carriage-way road. As you approach 500 metres from the lights, the appropriate speed limit lights up at the side of the road. It also lights up on gantries across the road nearer the junction, If you break that speed limit, the lights turn red and are camera'ed. It's much, much better to slow down to the speed limit and sail through. Also, if you are approaching and the lights are red, and there's no traffic from the other direction, your light turns instantly green in your lane only. Intelligent lights, scary, but effective.

-- r

The message from "R" contains these words:

Ah, like surfing the light-wave through Slough on the A4.

Reply to
Guy King

Similar experience as a student; I worked part-time in a pub and left the car park late one night, totally sober of course, d&d is foolhardy and I'd been working.. The lights at the end of the road remained on red, but I had spotted Plod in my mirror, so after what I knew to be the third cycle, I did a 3-point turn, wound down my window and told Plod I thought the lights were stuck and headed off in the opposite direction as I could get home that way anyway.

I was under the suspicion that Plod had a device to "jam" the sensors; never did find if that was true or not, but I wouldn't put it past them, especially after he'd seen me leave the pub!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

A much better idea than speed cameras - have lights that stop *everybody* if anybody triggers the sensor, and takes pics if anybody goes through the light - not only does it inconvenience the speeder and make their journey as slow as if they had stuck below the limit, but you get the added benefit of peer pressure.

And any yoofs who trip the lights for fun either get a ticket in the post or stay and get beaten to a pulp by a busload of builders...

Reply to
PC Paul

Reply to
PC Paul

They do the time thing because the cameras aren't active until 3.1 seconds after they go red and they need to 'prove' it if it goes to court.

Reply to
PC Paul

Is that 3.1 seconds interval universal?

Reply to
Duval

There's a set like that near us, on a blind bend outside a pub. I've never quite worked out how they're set, as even approaching at under

30mph they change to red, for about 5 seconds, then back to green. Just long enough to force traffic to slow down.
Reply to
Chris Bolus

My apologies -I have no idea where that number came from, and I can't find it now :-(

RoSPA and various traffic safety reports all seem to suggest a figure of

0.5-1 seconds after it goes red is more normal...

and 1 second after is actually quite a long time really, when you consider there is a 3 second amber before it changes...

Reply to
PC Paul

Do they change before you get to them if you are going under 30?

Reply to
PC Paul