Petrol in diesel car.

A friend has been handed a 1996 Rover turbo-diesel which, used as a courtesy car by a local garage, turns out to have been filled with petrol instead of diesel by a customer. It's been drained of petrol and diesel put in, but still won't run. In these circs, is it reasonable to assume that the problem is that the injection pump is ruined? Could there be another reason? Can anything be done, other than a replacement pump? If that's the case it's probable that the cost must make the car a 'scrapper'.

TIA for any replies. DB.

Reply to
DB.

DB. ( snipped-for-privacy@anon.tesco.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Well, it's not a common-rail, so not as likely as if it were. Is there diesel getting to the injectors? Cracking them open a bit should see it being sprayed around.

Reply to
Adrian

Give it a tow, it will probably go, if it won't I would look for other faults before the pump. such as getting fuel through (bleeding the system) I recently had a problem with a diesel mondeo, it wouldn't go after a filter change, it turned out that the pump by the tank had seized, with the system full it could run from the front pump, with air in it needed both!

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have seen TDi's of that age running on straight petrol before for a tank with no signs of imminent failure, check the fuel filter as sometimes the petrol brings the crap from the bottom of the tank through depending on how it was drained. Also has the system been fully primed with fuel as I don't know if a '96 rover has a self priming pump.

Reply to
Depresion

Aat that age it's a 1.7 PSA engine Tourers were, if it's a saloon it may be the L series both (almost) unburstable,give it a tow, doubtfull that it has done any damage, I'ts surprising how long some take too start after a fuel drain!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Dieseldes ( snipped-for-privacy@orange.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Assuming it's a 2/4/600.

If it's a 100, it'll be the 1.5 PSA, if it's an 800, it'll be the 2.5 VM.

Reply to
Adrian

good point, though discount the 100 as it's not turboed! I forgot about the

800
Reply to
Dieseldes

The slightly earlier XUD Peugeot-engined cars had a rubber-button priming device on top of the filter that can be fine until it's used - at which point the rubber splits. A big splidge of silicone sealant temporarily cured mine - I just made sure I didn't run out of fuel.

Reply to
Autolycus