Petrol Smell in Oil

Further to my fuel economy issue, I notice that there is a strong whiff of fuel/petrol through the oil filler hole. Seems a bit gassy.

Thoughts for the SR20De engine?

Compression test happening the weekend. I'll also try and do a power balance. Will be doing an oil change too. Dunno if on this engine, petrol can leak into the oil?

Ta Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

If the rings are gone on the pistons, combustion gases and pre-combustion mixtures can contaminate the oil. There always tends to be a slight whiff from oil on any engine, just because of the way it works.

Does the car burn oil? If it's leaking mixture into the oil, then it will more than likely be allowing a shit load of oil into the combustion mixture.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

something causing drastic over-fuelling? Coolant sensor parhaps?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Nah. Exhaust is clean. No smoke. It's been quite a solid car. Guess I'll find out about the condition of the engine when I have to remove the spark plugs for the compression test.

Thanks Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Consult reports that's fine. So the ECU is reading the correct temperature, and the dash displays it correctly too.

I'll have a think about over fuelling. I've got some read outs for the Injector Pulse and stuff... Not quite sure what that should be....

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean