Petrol smell

Ford Fiesta 1997 R Reg (1.3 engine)

Filled up with petrol on Saturday, no problems, park up my car today at 9am and return at 5. Soon as I am in my seat I can smell something which smells like petrol. I have never smelt it this strong, not even when putting it in at the pump - i know people say Diesel smells (but unless Tesco screwed up and put the wrong thing in - unlikely though as my car works fine and surley diesel wouldnt smell in a normal diesel car anyway?)

It's a very strong smell (once or twice before I have smelt the same smell in my car but ignored it and it went away) - I ignored it again, I drove to a few places, upon my return once again I could smell it seriously, I had a sniff under all 4 wheels - it smells a little on the rear left (where the fuel tank is) but my friend reckons its more so at the front.

Any ideas what it could be? My tank is still practically full (on the gauge) and I cannot see any leaks.....

I just parked my car outside again a while ago and opened the bonnet - I could hear crackling sounds (not that loud - it was almost silent outside at

2:30am!) but I just put that down to the part of the engine where the oil is (or goes in) but I didn't think it was linked...

Any ideas?

Reply to
mo

the car up over the bulkhead and follow them,sounds like theres a possible weep somewhere,shouldn't be too hard to trace.

Reply to
simondo

If its too dark around the bulkhead to see, a lighter makes a handy makeshift torch.

Reply to
SimonJ

The message from "SimonJ" contains these words:

So may an entire car!

Reply to
Guy King

Problem solved!

Reply to
SimonJ

Have a look at the engine - there will be a flexible pipe that feeds petrol into the carb.

You might try removing the end of the pipe from the carb, trimming a bit off the end, and re-fitting to see if it helps. Sometimes these perish a little and start to weep, especially when the fuel is under pressure. and this technique can help. Or , of course, replace the whole of the flexible bit.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Check the filler cap fits properly. Make sure the rubber gasket isn't missing/perisihed.

Reply to
Delgardo