Peugeot 106 cooling system

On my petrol 106, 1124cc engine, which had been standing all night and cold, I went to check the coolant level, and coolant was not visible. So, removed filler cap, and much gushing ensued. The system was still under pressure from the 5 mile drive from work the previous evening, 16 hours earlier. The coolant returned to the filler pipe, to about where I had topped it up to several weeks earlier. Does the fact it ws still under pressure indicate a fault somewhere? I have not noticed this befor, and cannot recall any other of my cars holding pressure overnight. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Reply to
4square

it would be worth getting a gas test done to rule out head gasket, but if you have no other problems then just keep an eye on it, it may just be one of those things, or maybe an airlock somewhere. or some vehicles have a little return pipe to the header tank (or equivalent) which can get blocked and confuse things.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful, thankyou for reply, yes I did wonder about test, I presume the cylinders are pressurised somehow? I also note, the coolant filler cap has no pressure release, unlike other cars I have owned. May have word at local garage, but car is 18 yrs old, cannot spend too much!

Reply to
4square

Mrcheerful, thankyou for reply, yes I did wonder about test, I presume the cylinders are pressurised somehow? I also note, the coolant filler cap has no pressure release, unlike other cars I have owned. May have word at local garage, but car is 18 yrs old, cannot spend too much!

exactly, it becomes uneconomic to do anything more than basic maintenance on an average vehicle of that age. There will be some form of pressure relief and facility to let air in under negative pressure, even if it is not obvious.

When a head gasket starts to leak combustion into the water system it gives a readable amount of CO into the coolant, a 'block test' can confirm or negate the presence of even a tiny head gasket leak. Even if it has a minor leak the car can go on for years in some cases, it will just need more care over water levels and more frequent top ups with antifreeze, eventually it will fail completely.

Head gasket change on a vehicle like that will be uneconomic unless you can do it yourself, even then it will be more than the value of the car in all probability.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

fail completely.

not really, head set is about 25 quid, and your time. a light head skim may be required too, another 50 quid..

Reply to
john

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:39:37 +0100, john boggled us with:

I'd not do a headgasket and put it back together without having the head checked and skimmed. It's simply not worth the hassle. Don't ask why I feel like that about them...

Reply to
Mike P

plus cambelt, water pump, head bolts and anti freeze, plus anything that breaks (18 year old car): it all soon adds up to quite a bit, which on a car worth just a few hundred at best may make it uneconomic.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On way home tonight, in slow traffic, the 106 overheat red light comes on. Turned on the heating to 'full', but not very hot. Seems like a circulation problem, the radiator did not seem particularly hot either, compared to the engine block. The cooling fan was flat out. Can the thermostat fail in closed position? Or, could it be blocked radiator? There are no odd noises to indiacte water pump failure, nor any coolant leaks. Are there any oddities with 106 cooling systems? This is first trouble in 2 years and 13,000 miles I have owned it! Once again, any advice much appreciated, thank you.

Reply to
4square

Yep; first thing to check/replace.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

thermostat is worth a try, but head gasket can cause air locks that stop the coolant moving round too. and of course the thermostat can not work if it surrounded by air instead of water. Try running the system unpressurised and see if it performs better.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful, how do I run the car with the system unpressurised? I did not think it was possible. thank you.

Reply to
4square
4square gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Take the cap off...

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

Slowly, with a rag wrapped round your hand. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H