Peugeot 306 Gearbox troubles

Ok I think the gearbox is about to let go in my 306 1600, in the past week a clicking sound has become apparant when accelerating and decelerating. When I let the clutch in it completely dissappears. A couple of week back it also began to whine on the motorway in 3rd and 4th.

Decided to change the gearbox oil yesterday and there was a fair bit of metal attached to both the magnetic plugs. BTW changing the oil has made nodifference at all.

Its a standard MA box now with 110000 miles on it. What do you guys reckon could be the problem? Maybe the diff? Letting the clutch in will *stop* the gearbox but I assume the diff will still be spinning so I'm thinking almost certainly its a gearbox problem. Also dont think its driveshafts cause I'd assume theyd make a noise regardless of clutch position?!?

Anyone got a MA box lying around anywhere??

Cheers

Ben

Reply to
Ben Jennings