Radio's gone doolally...

Started up the car this morning and the radio came on as usual (I usually have it defaulting to 'on'); however, the normal music and chat was accompanied by a high-pitched 'beep' about once very second. I've switched on and off, disabled all the radio's clever functions, but can't get rid of the beeping. What on earth is it? Help please!

Background: This is an original factory-fitted radio in a 1998 Renault Laguna (think it's a Blaupunkt?). I've had the car 5-6 years so am very familiar with the radio; the noise isn't related to traffic alerts or anything like that. Happens on all channels, on both FM and MW.

The radio has a security feature whereby you need to enter a PIN if the power is interrupted; however (a) it wasn't interrupted; (b) it goes into a mute status with a PIN prompt on the display; mine didn't do either. I just mention this in case anyone thinks that's what the problem is.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

is there some sort of battery back up on the unit, that would maybe hold vital things such as station presets, time....... when the power from the battery is disconnected? if there is such a feature on your radio, maybe it is siginaling that the back-up battery is running low on charge and is in need of replacing. i know that i have just such an option on my head-unit, cause i hate to reprogram presets, and various other things that my head unit can control, when i disconnect the main battery. link to what i am talking about:

winkenstein

I agree it does sound like something alon those lines, doesn't it? But there's no mention of anything like that in either the radio's owner's manual or the Haynes manual for the car.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

In news:eGtgf.136$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net, Lobster decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

quite often the AF/TA function on Blaupunkts can do that.

Turn the traffic reports off.

Reply to
Pete M

Yep, did that (see above!) David

Reply to
Lobster

Does the cd play normally or not?

The only time I've heard of that same problem the cd was jammed with a disc inside of it, never did pull it out to check as it was a company car and the guy only had to keep it 3 weeks.

He eventually pulled the fuse out supplying power to the radio :-) plugged it back in the day the lease company collected it.

As long as you have the radio code go ahead and pull it out, pop the lid and see if there is one stuck in the drive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Nope, no matter how hard I try I can't fit a cd into the cassette slot... :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Try harder ;-)

Seriously though, try pulling the head units connectors out so that there's no power to the unit (not even backup power) and give it a 'hard reset' as we call it in the pc world.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I am assuming this is the Blaupunkt G5 unit. How long have you left it on for whilst it is beeping? It normally does this for about 5 - 10 minutes and then asks for the code. Once the code is entered it will be fine.

Andy

Reply to
ANDY FAGAN

Bingo! Sorted; thanks very much.

Do you know what would have prompted this behaviour? I'm sure that in the past if ever I've disconnected the power, the unit switched on silently, asking for the code immediately.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster presented the following explanation :

Cold weather, high cranking current, lots of voltage drop and perhaps an almost flat battery as a result... The radio perhaps thought it had been disconnected from the battery briefly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sure, that would make sense, but I'd have expected totally different symptoms than what I saw (as per my last post); if I'd experienced those I'd have sussed the problem immediately!

David

Reply to
Lobster

This is the default mode from a fresh install. It seems to have been re set somehow, sometimes a power spike, jump start or similar can cause it, or kids putting pennies through the cassette flap. (You wouldn't believe how much money I retrieve from inside stereo's)

Andy

Reply to
ANDY FAGAN

'Scuse me for hijacking this thread a bit, but it seems to be posted to all the right groups and someone might be able to help. I have googled to no avail, probably the wrong combination of search words....Have RTFM and no help there either....

Anyone know what 'error 4' means on a Peugeot radio cassette player please? It's in a bog standard bottom of the range 2002 Peugeot Expert van if that's any help. The van is French spec, don't know if that makes any difference?

My guess is that the kids have put in the wrong code too many times :-( Any thoughts please?

TIA

-- Holly, in France Holiday Home in Dordogne

Holly, in France

That would be my guess too.

Whenever I have had Peugeots without a radio code I have simply phoned up the dealer that originally sold the car. Most often the name/number will be on the rear numberplate (Ignore the front one as this is often replaced).

Without fail they have always revealed the code over the phone without any proof of identity.

Perhaps they will tell you what error 4 is?

Also try a post on the French forum on

as someone will probably know the answer.

(If/when you find out post back here for future reference)

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

ERROR 4 means the code has been entered incorrectly and it has locked the security timer. Leave it switched on for an hour or so to clear the security timer but you will have to enter the correct code for it to function

Reply to
ANDY FAGAN