Peugeot 405 rear braking

I have over the last 6 months or so started to get problems on my Pug

405 glx where, when i brake, the back brakes kick in before the front brakes (not too sue if the front brakes are kicking in!)

Took it to my garage (not a Pug one) who put it on a rolling road, couldnt fault the brakes at all, would pass an MOT with flying colours.

garage told me probably compensator valve (wouldnt be master cylinder as this works on diagonals) Friend also told me sounded like compensator.

so....took it into local pug dealer, explained the problem, they test drove it, "Nothing wrong at all sir," but they did find a leaky brake cylinder.

took it away, had to travel a long way in car for a job, got there to find that i could touch the front wheels and boil water on the back ones.

back to pug dealer, definately nothing wrong (yet they did have to change a seized handbrake cable - they seem to do this on a regular basis!) and I insisted they look at compensator - seemingly nothing wrong but i insisted they change it.

seemed ok for a bit, but again this is happening.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks

Reply to
Zebedee

Zebedee

when was the last time you had your brake fuid changed , same with pads and shoes

Reply to
Steve Robinson

All discs/pads/shoes/drums/fluid were done in August (funnily enough the pproblem became noticeable after this!)

Reply to
Zebedee

looks like they have either incorrectly fitted the rear brake shoes or fitted the wrong brake shoes contaminated the pads

was it a diy job or did you use a garage

Reply to
Steve Robinson

What symptom have you got that makes you think this is happening?

So, has your car pulled the wool over the eyes of the brake tester, or are the brakes just fine? Hmmm.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

This suggests that the rear brakes are binding, always on, which would certainly glaze the linings. Performance and fuel consumption would be affected too. Seems to me that there is a problem with the rear brake shous, and perhaps the auto adjuster system which never work properly in my experience.

Reply to
Brian

The auto adjusters worked fine IME, but only lasted about the same time as a set of shoes. Peugeot sell the kit with shoes and self adjusters. It cured several of my rear brake annoyances (binding wasn't one of them however).

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Were the front brakes tested or just the rear?

If the front don't work then the rear will get a lot hotter than in normal circumstances.

If it helps a little.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

FAO Steve Robinson

sort of both..friend who is a mechanic did them - had problems finding the correct shoes tho. although has been to Puegeot and they didnt comment on shoe/drum wear.

FAO Shazzbat What makes me think this is happening - rear skidding on muddy ground, back end of car dropping when braking instead of front end.

strangely the brakes seem fine when tested front/back

FAO Brian handbrake cables were fine - one was replaced when peogeot had it. although seem to have to push handbrake last bit down when letting it off

FAO Charles C Both front and back were tested

Reply to
Zebedee

Check all linkages for free movement , it does sound as though your rear shoes could be either the wrong ones or incorrectly fitted , some brake shoes are handed , if the rear ones are not completly releasing then this will cause you the problems you are experiencing

Reply to
Steve Robinson

"Steve Robinson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk:

That sounds like the cables have been overtightened. There should always be a tiny bit of slack in the lever when released.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

I think the front brakes are working fine, but this is being disguised by the rear brakes binding/grabbing. If you're still having to push the handbrake off after replacing one of the cables this indicates that they changed the wrong one, or at least should have changed both.

Also be certain that the drums are dry inside, and the shoes have a chamfer to their leading edges, and the backplates are secure. All these things can influence the grabbing effect.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat