Pierburg 2E3 question

Hello everybody!

I have posted some questions on this issue previously, so I'll try to keep it concise: I bought a Vauxhall Astra (1.3l, 1990) featuring a PB2E3 carburettor. The car worked and drove like hell (bumpy) with a cold engine, while no major problems were encountered with the warm engine. On advice from this forum (thanks again, guys), I have replaced the pull-back unit vacuum hose. The symptoms amelliorated but still persisted. I seem to have solved the problem by slightly turning the auto-choke cover so that the choke flap would open sooner. Still, the idle is erratic. Moreover, when the engine is warm, the idle speed changes quite a lot, giving out some unpleasant trepidations in the body. I intend to get a carb overhaul kit (not very expensive at my local store) and replace all seals and gaskets. Before I do that, does anyone have any suggestion on the problem approach? Any tests to perform prior the carb dismatle? Of course, any solution/prior experience advice is welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Matei

Reply to
Matei Rusu

first check compressions and all ignition, also worth checking cam timing. check for vacuum leaks at the manifold and where the carb meets the manifold.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Swap out the crappy auto choke for a manual one?

Reply to
Alan

Aren't thesauruses wonderful things :-)

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

The message from Stu contains these words:

Loved the one in Jurassic Park - the one that bit the head off the lexicon.

Reply to
Guy King

LOL...I always think of it as "theasaurus" a swell.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

I would try that, but now I'm not sure anymore if the problem originates in the choke. As pointed out in the previous messages, it might come from below the choke flap (manifold gasket, cylinder compression). But, should I come to suspect the choke, I'll replace it in no time. Thanks anyway.

Matei

Reply to
Matei Rusu

Sorry if that struck a nerve. It sounded nice at the time-of-writing. No thesaurus involved, just came off the top of my mind. Boyscout's honour. I won't say it again. :-)

Matei

Reply to
Matei Rusu

Didn't strike a nerve at all - just seemed to be very concise for "top of the head" vocabulary, hence the light-hearted dig :-). I'm impressed!

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Did you check the pull-down unit itself? The diaphragm can disintegrate rendering the unit useless.

Reply to
Jonathan

Well, I "sucked" at the end of the pull-down unit hose. It gives out small pops, so I assume the unit is still operational. Thanks anyway. Matei

Reply to
Matei Rusu