Citroen AX tuning

Hi All,

I've finished converting my Citroen AX 1100 petrol with Solex carb to LPG and she runs smashing on LPG. I do however have a small problem when running on petrol which was there before the LPG conversion. The car seems to need a lot of choke until she is quite warm. The car then runs reasonably well until you go round a sharp roundabout/bend when the car seems to lose power before she then pulls away again. I seem to be able to run fine if I give the car a little choke or give the car plenty of throttle going into the corner.

I have adjusted the car with an exhaust gas analyser and am getting 0.8-1.2% co2 at idle. I have also checked the timing and am getting 8 degrees which is spot on. I tried to adjust the carb by setting idle and then adjusting the mixture screw for fastest idle but I seem to be able to unscrew all the way and never reach a peak speed.

I notice when starting up the exhaust is quite sooty on petrol.

I think the carb could be at fault here any advice on a cure. Perhaps a strip down and clean? The car has done about 60k miles.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Crap in the float bowl can do this

Reply to
Duncan Wood

How often? ;-)

Reply to
Terry D

Yes ... it did on my axgt. Several times during the past few years, i have been accelerating wildly round a left hand bend when its suddenly suffered fuel starvation. And on mine it won't clear ... it will idle ok (the idle mixture comes from a different part of the twin choke solex carb) ... but acceleration is a no no. So, off with the k and n filter, unscrew the primary emulsion jet and lift out with a cocktail stick, then unscrew the primary running jet and lift this out with the stick as well. Next, remove the cap off a bottle of windolene window cleaner, stuff the pipe end deep down into the carb ... and pump the bugger dry. (Obviously spraying the fuel into a receiver .... NOT ONTO THE HOT MANIFOLD!!!!) Works well ... and assuming your single choke carb has a similar jet arrangement it should work for you to. Watch you don't create any nicks or burrs on the jets though!!!

P.s: The twin choke axgt can be driven home when the primary choke is playing up ... just by using the secondary choke ... e.g: more than 3/4 throttle, which is quite "wild".

-- Regards SDD

Warning: Email reply address is a spamtrap, remove teeth to reply directly !!!!

Reply to
Ahgowonwidya

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. I would have taken the thing to pieces to do it.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Tends to be very messy, and also blocks the jets up.

Kinda hard to perch over the engine too!

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious