Pinking

no, it's a 899cc version of the 45HP, 903cc OHV engine that was in the original UNO, 127, etc - and which was superseded (but not completely replaced) by the 45hp 999cc OHC 'FIRE' engine...

Reply to
Tim Vincent

No, he told me not to worry about it.

That's what I thought, it's a lot of work to take the injector off etc. :-( He cleaned the oil up and after running it, the engine was still clean of oil. Must be very minor.

Reply to
Peter

My book tells me not to exceed the maximum torque! This is 3000rpm, it also tells you to have low engine speeds when it's cold. It's always best to go easy on a cold engine, especially when the car's covered in snow!

It is a pushrod one.

How long will it take roughly? Week, month?

Reply to
Peter

I'm not that slow, a lot of people drive slower than me.

I noticed it very early. I asked my dad about it and he listened, but said it wasn't pinking. A few thousand miles later, I was still convinced that it was pinking. My dad had another listen and said that it was. He said that he didn't hear it before, he doesn't hear anything in my car.

Reply to
Peter

No, 1.4l 8v. Rubbish, it's really sluggish.

Almost had the car a year and just done the second oil change. The engine usually does get hot, usually from idling in traffic, but my trip to uni is about 6-7 miles. I had some mayonaise during the break but it went when I started back at uni.

Reply to
Peter

They have 70bhp don't they? Anyone?

Reply to
Dan405

Yeah, think so. Consider the Renault Energy 1.4 - I think it's about 85 bhp. Even the old Fiat 1.3 engine (128 X1/9) had around 70bhp.

If it's got only 45bhp then it ain't the 1.4 - do they do a 1.0 in the Astra? I hired a 1.4 Astra (Mk4) on holiday, using the gears it was plenty fast enough to deal with Cypriot drivers on mountain roads ;-)

-- Ken Davidson DocDelete

Reply to
DocDelete

Ah. I'd read that the FIRE was the engine in the UNO and that there was an

899 FIRE in the Sei. Didn't realise it had a pushrod lump as well.
Reply to
Doki

My Rover 420 has 135 so a 1.4l 70 BHP would feel sluggish.

--=20 Conor

"The vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world.=20 And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."

- George Bush

Reply to
Conor

How do you overtake in it? Are you sure it doesn't mean don't exceed the maximum torque as in don't try and drive up hills at 20mph in fifth, ie labouring it? If exceeding 3000 revs is so bad, why don't they put the rev limiter there?

About 200 miles of "spirited" driving sorted out my Mum's polo.

Reply to
Doki

They managed to make a 1.4l engine produce only 43bhp? 30 horsepower per litre? And they sold this car to people?

Reply to
Doki

That's weird, that's what I read in my dads hand book, but after searching the internet it looks like it's 59bhp. I can remember reading 43bhp though, I wouldn't forget something like that!

Reply to
Peter

That's weird, that's what I read in my dads hand book, but after searching the internet it looks like it's 59bhp. I can remember reading 43bhp though, I wouldn't forget something like that!

Reply to
Peter

Overtake, I don't! I only overtake bicycles, oh and parked cars :-). There's little oportunity for overtaking in the city. It came under 'acceleration' so it would've meant revs. Why don't you ask Fiat why they didn't put the limiter there, don't shoot the messenger.

Reply to
Peter

No, it's an 899cc, but it's not a FIRE engine. The other engine they do is a 1.1l which is a FIRE engine.

Reply to
Peter

My one is a 39bhp, 899cc, pushrod, engine, which isn't a FIRE one.

Reply to
Peter

Are you sure it's not meaning "Don't exceed 3,000 rpm" to get maximum fuel efficiency?

Yes this is sensible.

However, if you've been driving your car and never gone past 3000 revs, then that is your problem - it'll be totally carboned up! Take it out and drive it HARD for an hour or so, Heavy acceleration, take it out on the motorway and drive in 4th instead of 5th (or 3rd instead of 4th!) for a bit. Yes, it'll make lots of noise to begin with, but you should notice an improvement before too long.

An hour. Just make sure you drive it hard.

Reply to
Robert R News

Vauxhall quote their power figures in Kw, not bhp. I used to have a

1.6 Cavalier that produced 82Kw, which was equivalent to 109hp. The astra will be 43Kw, which is 58hp.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Fer St. Cristophers sake !!!!!! Just rev the nuts off the damn lawnmower on your nearest fastest road and be done with it. Otherwise I'll report you to Top Gear as a "feature"

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Har.

Reply to