Pouring boiling water over car battery- safe?

Oh for christ's sake man shut up. What Conor recommends is perfectly normal, I've done it myself before now. There's no need to get into a slanging match over someone else's problem.

Reply to
Malc

Dunno how you do it Conor. You give a perfectly reasonable answer and get shot down in flames for your answer. Mebbe the cage drivers know instinctively what you drive LOL. I would add one proviso, don't try this with the battery in situ on a beemer with the battery in the back, or a Mercedes Vito with the battery under the drivers seat. Most cars with an engine compartment battery will be fine, the battery sits on a corner with drain holes under it that exit to the ground. If you are silly enough to buy a car with a battery in the engine compartment, but with drain holes that mysteriously spread through the body, it serves you right.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

That seems unlikely.

I would dearly like to know what is so mystical about this white powder that it can only be removed with a ritual involving boiling water.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

I'm rather baffled as to why it would be a bad idea though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Isn't that what you're doing just now?

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Tipping water into places you can't see where it might hang around a while can't be a good thing, especially if you're washing acid down with it. God knows the things rust well enough without help.

The world will not end, I grant, but the seeming pointlessness of it is what gets me.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Done Retching - anal retentive extraordinaire.............................................................. ...Funny how the name Buchan sounds like someone being sick eh? especially in a Scots accent.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Yes dear. I don't understand what you said but I'm sure it was very clever.

Funny thing to say with a name like Stuart.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

extraordinaire..............................................................

very rententive, what if I was a Stewart then? But as I said, a Scots accent helps........

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Stuart Gray wrote

I always used to pour (almost) boiling water to clean up battery terminals, then smear them with vaseline, but I don't remember seeing any white powder around the terminals of my last few cars.

I thought it was a 'thing of the past'.

Reply to
Gordon

Oi! Leave it!

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

I haven't either but then, like you, I bother to grease the terminals.

Reply to
Conor

Years of practice...

Reply to
Conor

It gets rid of all of it quickly and if you use enough it flushes it away. You then get a smidgen of vaseline/grease and coat the terminals. Saves getting out spanners, trying to remember radio codes and fighting the car alarm PLUS you can also get the missus to make a brew at the same time :-)

Reply to
Conor