Power steering flush

Is there anything you can put in a power steering reservoir to clean out the system before changing the fluid - much like the tins you can tip into the engine oil before changing it? It's a hydraulic steering box on a BMW and I think something inside might be sticking occasionally. Worth a try.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

but it'll flush anything out.

IME it quietens things down a bit. You never know, might fix it.

Reply to
Doki

More power steering fluid :-) Seriously , just pump a lot through. Sadly I doubt it'll cure the fault but it'll flush anything out.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's sloppy most of the time but sometimes goes really bad and sometimes tightens up. We thought it might be a sticky valve or something, although I haven't studied the workings of it to know if that's feasible. I'll just change the fluid then.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Is the auxiliary belt slipping? Could be causing the power steering pump to not spin all the time, hence loss of steering power.

Just my 2p

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

No, the power is fine. The problem is play within the steering box. There's loads of play with the engine off, that's normal, but with it running the play doesn't all disappear. I'm kind of used to it now but it's a minor thorn in my side.

Reply to
Dan Buchan