Japanese cars from Hong Kong

Hi,

I am thinking of buying Japanese car Mitsubishi colt or similar one from Southampton Auction. Any one has any experience or comments to make please?

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Make sure it's not stolen!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

If it's registered in the UK it's unlikely to be stolen as the DVLA do check with Interpol before giving it a number plate.

There were cases of grey imports turning out to be stolen, more likely to be high-end Skylines, Supras etc. With a used Mitsubishi Colt being worth washers in Japan, it's hardly going to be worthwhile stealing one, exporting it, etc...

Reply to
Alex Reid

From Southampton it is likely to be a Japanese car via ebay - most probably RHD but no problems for use on eurpoean roads except for radio frequencies for any immobiliser, radio for entertainment, fog light (none!) KMH speedo and a number of other differences including different emissions, homologation and crash pulse requirements.

It is probably OK, but don't forget it is going to cost you money for certifications prior to the SVA and registering it. Likely that it won't be worth so much when you sell it as well.

If the car is actually from HK then that is totally, totally different - it is prob. UK spec but I don't know if it will have been modified - if it has holes for 2 sets of numberplates (HK & Chinese) then it has been owned by someone with plenty of cash!

Adam H

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam

If you're looking at Colts - see if you can get your hands on a Cyborg R or ZR. Seen a couple of them knocking around in local auctions.

We got ours on Jap import and it was well worth it. Let's just say it's a fun car to drive!

-- Ali.

Reply to
Alison Hannah

frequencies

different - it

Hi Adam,

It would be from HK and I much appreciate your advice.

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

I have a E33 Mitsubishi Galant which has done approx 230,000 miles. Nothing major has ever gone wrong. Mitsubishis are very reliable.

Reply to
Geoff