power steering rack replacement

just replaced the PAS rack on a bmw e30, whats the easiest way of determining that the rack is dead center for tracking purposes ? just the tracking is far to way out to take it to a garage at the moment...

cheers

mark

Reply to
luna_s

the column connection is usually keysplined so has to go on at one particular point. Wind your track rod ends on the same number of turns you removed them (usually about 13 turns) The wheels should be roughly parallel. You can check with straight edges, string and a tape measure Take to a tracking shop, they will centre the wheel and set the correct tracking angle.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

On my SD1, there's a plastic plug on the body of the rack near the column. Remove that and insert a suitable sized drill bit or dowel. Turn the wheel until it locates. That's the centre. Think most racks have a similar idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also sprach "Dave Plowman (News)" :-

Talking of SD1s - I spotted one towing a trailer with another one on the back yesterday moving gently along the M54.

Can't help thinking that's a bit close to the maximum train weight!

Reply to
Guy King

Certainly the case with Cam Gear p/s racks, who BTW supply many of the p/s racks fitted to european cars. I don't know if BMW racks have the same provision. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

IIRC, the rack on an E30 is pretty accessible so should be easier to check for one than on the SD1. Of course the OP said he'd fitted a replacement, so perhaps examination of the old one would give clue.

Trying to centralise by counting turns of the wheel is a thankless job. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yeah theres no alignment hole to speak of - i basically measured from underneath the distance between the end of the tie rod and rack casing until it was more or less equal - then i did the tracking as best as i could (well the wheels point forward at least!) - ill take to a garage now and get the tracking done properly

cheers mark

Reply to
luna_s

Unfortunately, to do the job properly, the rack needs to start out central. And no garage I know of will take the time to do this properly. Without a central indent, it is *extremely* time consuming.

So saying, the rack being slightly off centre with the tracking correct probably doesn't make that much difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and a bit over the top to carry that many spares ;)

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

You've never owned one, then?