Price for an Old Banger with 12 mths. MOT.

What's the going rate these daze?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

*Sigh*

Any clue as to what the old banger is, or is this just a weak troll?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Visit your local auction house for the evening auctions.

I doubt you will get one with 12months MOT though.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

*Sigh*. "Any old run-of-the-mill car with 12 months[1] MOT". It used to be that an old banger with a ticket had some residual value, which was approximately the same independent of model.

Andy, perhaps I should've said "something like 12 months", ticket.

I'm wondering what to do about my old car, you see.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon ( snipped-for-privacy@thai.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not Very Much At All.

If you ask around and aren't in a massive rush, there's usually something going begging with a few months MOT on it for free or damn near it. If you're lucky, it might not even need anything for a new ticket, but you're more likely to get a choice between being vaguely presentable or fault- free.

For £250, you've got a choice. For £500, the world's your oyster. Have a look on fleaBay.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok, between £50 and £500

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

About £100.

Seriously.

If it's vaguely modern like a Mondeo, then £200-400 depending on condition, but a crappy old Renault 19 or something , the traders will be relieved if they don't have to scrap it.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

200 quid. That's all I'd pay - unless something special.

Got a nice Capri 2 litre auto for less than that a few years ago at auction with 3 months tax too - and bangers have dropped since then.

I'd say 200 quid being the usual maximum from a cash point might make it the reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on what the car is. An old Sierra with 12mths MOT is still only worth a couple of hundred unless it's in spectacular condition, though the later versions may fetch slightly more. Diesels tend to be worth more, as do estates, 4x4 and high end models. I sold my Rover 418SLD (L-reg with about 2 weeks MOT left) for nearly £300 on ebay, and I'll probably get about the same for my 620SLDi when the MOT runs out on that, but I'd be struggling to get more than about a hundred for a late model petrol Sierra with only a few weeks left...

If you're looking to sell then ebay is a good place, but I wouldn't usually buy from there...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Autotrader is your friend. You might be able for flog it through there for nowt as well - they advertise cars under £500 for free, or used to at least.

Don't forget to also advertise it on uk.adverts.cars but put at least a couple of hundred quid on the price so people can post indignant HFM replies ;o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Capri prices are rapidly rising though, which is nice.

Personally, I'd say 200 quid will get you a working car. It won't get you a nice one.

Nice cars start at around 6-700 quid.

Reply to
Pete M

Ebay should be OK for buying - think of it as Autotrader but you make your own price up :o) Usual rules apply - go and have a good look at the car before you make an offer.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Good. It was a surprisingly nice car - and quick, even in auto form. IMHO rather nicer to drive than an MGB GT - and faster. Something like the 2.8 injection must be really fun.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

2.8i Capris are a giggle, but a 3.0S is the way to true sideways nirvana.

I still miss my old yellow 3.0S. Hell of a car that.

Reply to
Pete M

Don't know how true it is any more, but it used to be said that a full=20

12 months MOT added =A3300 to what you might expect to get.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Had an alleged 28-30 bhp more.

2.8i Capris in standard tune tend to be 150-155 bhp. 3.0 Capris are 138 bhp. 2.8i Capris have 155ish lb ft of torque at around 3500 rpm, 3.0s have 174 lb ft at around 2300 rpm. 2.8i Capris have Bilstein shocks, meatier springs / anti roll bars and 205/60/13 tyres 3.0s have softer shocks and springs, and 185/70/13 tyres.

2.8 is a much more refined car that handles better, but the 3.0S is a giggle. 3.0 Ghias, with the pretty much ubiquitous 3speed auto box are mega sideways due to being even more softly sprung and the weight of the 'box.

Had 'em all, the 3.0S is the best laugh, and sounds great with tubular headers.

Reply to
Pete M