Problem with a Focus Zetec

How come you always get the phone call on a Holiday weekend!, Friend phones me up his daughter was driving down to Yorkshire when the car cut out, (how I am suppose to diagnose and fix over the phone!!) It's a Focus zetec 1.8 S reg cut out, he restarted and drove 100yds then cut out again., it was taken back to my mates house. Now it starts idles fine but as soon as you give it any sort of welly it cuts out. only revs to 3K. and the speedo has stopped working. Now it had the cutting out symptoms problems a while back and the garage changed plugsleads and coil pack, allegedly...

I would love to be able to go down and fix it there, so any thoughts before I have to drag it 40 miles!!

Des

Reply to
Des

In message , Des writes

The clue is the speedo not working. Its the classic Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which is a fairly common fault on these. It supplies a speed signal to the EEC which uses the info to determine the idling RPM among other things. Its not particularly east to change. Its mounted on the top of the gearbox and access is awkward. If that weren't enough, the securing pin for the sensor seizes in the gearbox and may require penetrating oil/heat/brute force to remove it.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

This exact problem happened on my mum's '99 1.8 Focus. Having diagnosed it as a dodgy VSS, and seeing what a b*tch of a job it was to do, I handed it over to my local Ford dealer to do. IIRC it cost about =A380 including parts.

Reply to
a.tucker

This exact problem happened on my mum's '99 1.8 Focus. Having diagnosed it as a dodgy VSS, and seeing what a b*tch of a job it was to do, I handed it over to my local Ford dealer to do. IIRC it cost about £80 including parts.

Oh great , simple fault b*rsteward to do, just my luck!

Reply to
Des

If you Google in the NG alt.autos.ford.focus for "VSS" you will find loads of information about sorting this out. (Including some from me!).

Access to the sensor is a bit difficult. You need to raise the car safely at the front and do it from underneath.

I would rate my car DIY skills as average; I'm 59 years old and have a chronic back condition. It took me 45 minutes to change mine using normal hand tools, a trolley jack and a pair of axle stands.

Fiddly, yes. Barsteward to do? No!

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The clue is in the name of the maker.

'Fix Or Repair Daily'

;-)

Reply to
SteveH

HTH

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Stuff like that means f*ck all. I've seen reliability surveys put the Fiat Marea at 18th most reliable car money can buy.

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
Pete M

In message , Pete M writes

I had to stare at that for 5 minutes before I spotted what you had done :)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yep, I thought *I* had done something wrong at first!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

LOL!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Be fair, Pete.

The surveys may only have had 17 cars rated.

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"Fix It Again, Toni"

Reply to
Adrian

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I know of what I speak.

I once came 63rd in a school inter-house cross country. There were four houses, and fifteen entrants from each.

I've still never figured out how come I wasn't even last.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Perhaps you got lapped by a few terribly keen types.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

We were only meant to do one lap. So unless they were *REALLY* keen...

Mind you, I did a triathlon in Melbourne a few years ago (1) - and was pleased to not be that far outside the time of the winners of one of the other races using the same course.

Unfortunately, they DID do two laps to our one. (I didn't even win the award for the person who'd come furthest to take part... There was some bugger from Glasgae)

(1) Yes, I was pissed when I agreed to do it...

Reply to
Adrian

I don't know what went wrong for me, when I was at school, I had a couple of 3rd place finishes in the cross country race and represented my county over the sprint hurdles and 400m hurdles.... I also had a personal best at the 800m that would get me a medal in an Olympic womens final (OK, nowhere near as quick as the men, but I still think that was a fairly good claim to fame, so to speak), but now I can't run more than about 50 yards without breaking out into a coughing fit :-(

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Umm, no, it would get you disqualified, because a time that good would draw attention to the fact you (presumably) have a dick.

You discovered beer and ciggies?

Reply to
Adrian

Heh. This is true, but I still reckon it's not a bad achievement.

Yup, I think you're onto something there.

Reply to
SteveH