Problem with Fiesta door lock

Have a 98 Fiesta and door lock became hard to open(just took a lot of force to turn the key till it opened) i looked at the key and it looked real worn so i tried using the spare key which hasnt been used and it worked fine straight away the first time as it should, however after a week of use its back to bieng stiff again just like it was with the old key.

I opens but it just need a LOT of pressure turning it, just wondered if this was a known fult or one someones had before

any help appreciated

Reply to
topof

Quite common Ford problem.

Have you tried lubricating the lock?

Purists will say you should only use graphite powder; I've sprayed WD40 into my door locks on every car I've owned for years without a problem however.

If that doesn't help, it's time for a door lock kit from your Ford dealer I'm afraid.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Have you tried squirting a few drops of oil into the lock?

Reply to
Dave Baker

I tried a straw on the end of the WD40 can and squirting it inside the lock barrel, i did take the door panel off to see if i could access the lock from inside but found it covered by a metal uard that looks to be atached to the window winder channel, does the window and channel have to be removed to replace the lock ?

Reply to
topof

the cover and channel can be removed after undoing the two screws that hold it on, one on the edge of the door and one down low on the inside. Having undone the screws you may find the whole lump is still very solid, this is because there is a line of black goop gluing it to the outer door skin, sometimes this can be peeled away with brute force, sometimes it is easiest to slice it with a sharp blade. With the window up, the runner can now come out. Then get the lock out by twisting the locking plate and disconnecting the rod. Then get the new lock kit, build it to your key number (or preferably get the Ford parts people to do that bit for you) then just put it all back together, swearing when you come to put the lock protector back. Sometimes I have cut a corner off the plate to make it easier to go back.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Excellent info cheers, ive found a new lock online for £10 is it s simple job to build it to my existing lock ? the seller online can do it for £5 extra but requires my T code, where would i find this ? or how wouod i build it to my key number ? again, i appreciate the help cheers

Reply to
topof

If you don't know the T code a ford dealer will read it for you, it is just how deep the indents are, and will be something like 232141. If you take the old lock to pieces you will see the 'tumblers' are little discs, each is numbered, notice which way the numbers face in relation to the lock body, it is different on each side of the car (on the rh lock the numbers face the inside of the car IIRC) there are little washers between each tumbler, one of the washers is slightly dished to give a spring effect, note where it goes. So you can dismantle your old lock to get the numbers.

Take careful note of the order and the number of each disc.

The lock kit has all the discs and some spares, plus all the washers, the pin that stops the lock turning and a plastic lock ring to hold it all together, along with some plastic bits and a circlip. As haynes would say just reverse the dismantly sequence and test the key in it, it should be able to turn one way to lock using any key, but the right key is needed to unlock it, so don't be fooled by it working one way unless it works the other too.

DO NOT put the lockring in until you are really certain it is right as they are very difficult to remove without damage (if not impossible) and AFAIK you can't get them separately.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

excellent stuff, thanks again will give it a go next week

cheers

Reply to
topof