pug 205 GTI lock problem

Sometimes I have a lot of trouble unlocking the driver's door on my Pug.

The key goes into the lock without trouble but it wont turn, then sometimes I get a mechanical click and the door unlocks. In addition, the lock appears a bit loose. When the key is in the lock and the lock is opening, I can lock/unlock successively without trouble

Any idea what might be the problem.

If lubrication is recommended, is it possible to lubricate without removing the inner panel?

Thanks

PS. the door opener feels a little worn, but opens fine.

Reply to
species8350

Hi,

Yes, just open the lock's flap with a screwdriver, a blade or even your key and apply some nice squirts of WD40. Then push your key in and do some opening / closing cycles. Worked fine on my 205 with no central locking.

It may well let some WD40 traces underneath the lock, but that's not terrific... You'll notice that your lock will look like a bulldog which has eaten a yoghourt ;-)

HTH, G.T ('93 Junior D)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi Just had to replace the door locks on my 205 gti due to some thieving little git breaking in and wrecking the lock. If you take the door card off and look inside you'll see the lock barrel is held in place with a U clip. It's held on quite tight so if the clip has slipped or come off completely then the whole lock assembly will be loose and therefore not operating the bars properly that hook onto the mechanism. It's a bit fiddly trying to get the bars back on if they have dropped off but the U clip should go back on with a few taps with a large flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Hope that helps.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Watkins

I think the clip may be the problem. My manual tells me to unscrew the door arm (that I use to shut the door). It shows two screws under the handle. I have no screws under the handle.

How did you get the the door trim off??

I only need to get at the lock, the simplest method would be the best.

Thanks

Sp.

Reply to
species8350

The door card just pops off, the usual type of poppers, u just gently prise it off after taking the inside door handle, door pocket and window winder handle off. Oh, and the surround for the door opening lever. And the speaker cover. Once it's off shine a torch inside and you'll see the clip. Regards Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Watkins

How did you get the inside door handle off. According to the manual, there should be two screws underneath the handle. Mine has none?

Thanks

Sp.

Reply to
species8350

Mine does have the two screws. Perhaps there's dicreet covers over them? Just need a small screwdriver to pop them out then get at the screws. Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Watkins

There's no cover underneath the door handle.

I see there's a strip along the front of the handle, perhaps this comes off. I'll have a look.

Thanks

Sp.

Reply to
species8350