Cold starting problem on 1.1 HCS Fiesta

This is just a minor niggle really, but this group has been so helpful in the last week or two and I wondered if I could fix this problem before it gets any worse.

I have a little trouble starting my 1992 1.1 HCS Fiesta when it has been left for a day. I seem to need to crank it for long time before it fires. If I pump the accelerator a couple of times (though it's getting worse I think - it's more like 4 times recently) before turning the key, it will fire first time, but will run for only a second or two before dying. After it has fired and run, it will restart immediately, until the problem returns the next day.

All this makes me think that fuel isn't being delivered efficiently. Is there anything I can do to fix this - is it as simple(?) as fitting a non-return valve in a fuel line, or is the fuel pump likely on the way out?

Thanks,

Reply to
Mick Brooks

Is there a fuel filter fitted either in the fuel line or in the carb (unscrew fuel inlet union to access). If so try replacing it.

James of Sunderland

Reply to
James

Well, the Haynes suggests that there is a filter in the fuel line only on the fuel-injected engines, and makes no mention of a filter in the carb. Could you give more instructions as to where to look, and what to look for, in the carb?

I've also noticed that when it's eventually started and is running, if I apply the accelerator in the first 10-20 seconds the engine stops. Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks,

Reply to
Mick Brooks