2002 Corolla door lock

So I guess the key cylinder lock dealy on the outside of the car on the drivers side is whacked. I'm not sure what happened or why but it doesn't work. I got irritated one day and tried to turn the key as hard to the right as possible and I think that sealed the deal with it not working.

So I am wondering...

Looks like I can buy the lock cylinder off eBay and maybe replace myself. Anyone know how hard it might be for someone whose generally not handy?

Would it be best to take it to the dealer?

If I take it to the dealer, should I buy the lock cylinder off eBay and let them install that and just pay labor or would it be best or recommended that they get an OEM lock cylinder and pay for that and labor?

Also, what about my current key? Could the dealer order a lock/ cylinder thing that would match my existing key, or am I going to need to carry two keys around, one for ignition, and the other for the drivers side lock?

I'd love advice.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Reply to
mrsteveo

You may be able to have the cylinder repaired by a locksmith. They can usually key the cylinder to match. Call around your local area to find someone knowledgeable, competent, and reasonably priced (compare).

If a cylinder is difficult to turn it is possible to lubricate it using powdered graphite lock lubricant. You can usually find this at most auto parts stores and it's not very expensive. Don't use anything liquid petroleum based (oils, WD40, ect.) since that will usually attract dirt and grime. Some silicone products are safe, but won't last as long as the graphite IMHO.

Reply to
user

When you say that the lock cylinder is "not working," what exactly is not working? Does the key not turn in the cylinder or is it difficult to turn, or does turning the key have no effect?

The lock cylinder mechanisms are pretty durable and rarely fail unless they have been tampered with or got water inside. The pins (tumblers) in the cylinders may wear but they it shouldn't be too worn in a 5 year old car unless you use a aftermarket key that is harder than the OEM key. I doubt if the lock cylinder is bad.

First, get some Lock-Ease aerosol lock lubricant and give a shot in the lock cylinder. Do not use WD-40 or other lubricant in your lock.

If the key turns in the lock but nothing happens, one of the rod connectors in the door probably broke or got disconnected. You can remove the inner door panel and hook the rod connector back up (they just snap together).

If you provide more detail in what is happening, I can steer you in the right direction.

Reply to
Ray O

It's nice to know that we give the same advice!

Reply to
Ray O

Scary!

Reply to
user

When I put the key in the lock and turn to the right, it should unlock. It doesn't free wheel at all. It's just tough to turn. When I do try to turn the key to unlock the door, I can see the lock mechanism through the window try to move 'up' to the unlock spot so I think the rod connector is probably fine.

I cannot turn the key to the left and lock the door from the outside at all. If I turn the key clockwise to unlock, it's resistant. Last night out of irritation (yes, bad me..) I cranked the key as hard as I could clockwise only to be very confident now SOMETHING inside that tumbler is likely bent.

So that's the story. Unfortunately, I've already done what you suggested not too; used WD-40 last night and that did not help. I could get some Lock Ease if you think that'd work but at this point, I think..

I went on vacation a few weeks ago, came home. Lock had a tough time moving key clockwise to unlock but then sometimes would work great. Makes me think my gf/kids while I was on vacation, used a wrong key or tried to force something and bent something inside the tumbler causing it to sometimes work and sometimes not.

At this point, it dones't work at all.

When I turn key clockwise, I can see it want to move the lock upwards but no matter how hard I try... it won't do it. I do think the tumbler is toast probably but willing to try lock ease if you think I should.

Assuming that doesn't do it, any other suggestion(s)?

Reply to
mrsteveo

You didn't mention whether you are using the original key or a duplicate. If you are using a duplicate, try the original.

If the temps are near or below freezing, you may have ice in the lock.

Get the Lock-Ease aerosol. It comes with a small snorkel tube that you attach to the nozzle. Insert the snorkel into the key opening and spray until the stuff pours out of the opening. Insert the key and gently work it back and forth to see if it frees up.

If the Lock-Ease doesn't work, you can remove the lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith along with the key to have it repaired.

Too remove the lock cylinder, you will have to remove the inner door panel, pop the lock rod off, remove the C-shaped spring clip that secures the cylinder to the door, and pull the cylinder our from the outside of the door.

Reply to
Ray O

the lock. Get the Lock-Ease aerosol. It comes with a small snorkel tube that you attach to the nozzle. Insert the snorkel into the key opening and spray until the stuff pours out of the opening. Insert the key and gently work it back and forth to see if it frees up.

If the Lock-Ease doesn't work, you can remove the lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith along with the key to have it repaired. Too remove the lock cylinder, you will have to remove the inner door panel, pop the lock rod off, remove the C-shaped spring clip that secures the cylinder to the door, and pull the cylinder our from the outside of the door.

Be very careful not to drop or lose the above mentioned C clip. You WILL NOT be able to find a replacement without special ordering of it thru dealership at about $10 or else plan a trip to your local wrecking yard. Been there, done that!! dc

Reply to
doncee

Good point! Those spring C clips have a tendency to fly when released. I would make sure the door is mostly closed when releasing it!

Reply to
Ray O

You might want to try some brake / contact cleaner to spray out the cylinder, it might remove most of the WD40, then either blow out with compressed air or wait a period of time to let it dry out, then use the powdered graphite.

It might be worth a shot to try before taking it to either the dealer or locksmith, at least it's cheaper.

Like Ray mentioned earlier, it might come down to untrimming the door and investigating what is causing the problem.

Reply to
user