Programming audi a4 pre 97 key

I have lost the one and only key to my Audi a4 it is R reg 97 the key does not have a remote central locking button, I assume it still has an immobiliser transponder and requires programming, I have ordered a new key using my log book from a main Audi dealer, will they need the car at the dealership to program the key or can I do it in the vehicle?

Reply to
Ricardo

You have ordered two keys haven't you?

You need two keys to program.

As to whether you can do it with no original working key, I have no idea.

Autodata has pages of instructions, but it all assumes there are multiple keys and that some have press buttons.

I would have to recommend asking the dealer that is supplying the key/s.

Reply to
MrCheerful

They are stating the vehicle has to come in to program the keys here lies the problem the dealer is 15 miles away, and I cant start the car, they have posted me the key so i can get in and release the stering lock etc, surely im not going to have to tow the car there?

Reply to
Ricardo

Why did you only order only one key? If you lose that you are in the same position again.

it may be worth phoning the AA or whatever you are in and say that it has broken down and needs to be towed in to the garage!

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

You need the SKC code and Vag-Com or the dealer service machine, & to get the skc code they have to connect online to VW, so you'll have to goto the dealer or find somebody with Key-Prog. However that's probably not any cheaper.

Duncan Wood

Chris Bartram

Greenflag has agreed to transport the car to the main dealer, lost keys are classed as an incident covered by their policy, get one key from the dealer =A3110 any extra keys are =A350 each. =A3160 FOR A LOST KEY OUCH..........

Reply to
Ricardo

Or don't purchase a car with one key.

Or don't rely on one key.

Or just be careful, like myself, and don't lose things.

Reply to
gthh