Vectra cuts off

1999 Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 LS. There appears to be an intermittent fault on my Vectra. Ocasionally when I slowly approach something like a junction and I need to stop, as I approach at a very low speed 2 to 4miles per hour, the car suddenly cuts off. This also happens when I am slowing turning into a parking bay. Several years ago when this happened on another Vectra the Dealers replaced a part( sensor or summit) I cannot remember what it was. Can anyone offer some advice on this and how best to cure this problem as it is potentially quite dangerous when the it suddenly and unexpectedly cuts off
Reply to
ramjaminn1

I would guess ICV. It's hardly "potentially dangerous" when you're hardly moving anyway.

Reply to
gazzafield

In message , gazzafield writes

Yes it is because cars behind you have no idea that you are suddenly going to stop, and of course the steering locks if there is a slight turn of the wheel. What the hell is ICV to a layperson ?

Reply to
ramjaminn1

Your steering does not lock with your key in the ignition. If it does, you have a far bigger problem than the car cutting out! And you don't "suddenly stop when your engine packs up, I've had a car do exactly what you describe. The ICV is the Idle Control Valve. And before you ask, no it can't be fixed, it's a throw away part.

Reply to
gazzafield

But you don't suddenly stop.

How? The ignition key hasn't been moved so the steering lock can't engage.

Fuck, you're thick.

Reply to
Conor

Conor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.karoo.co.uk:

He must be feeble enough to think that once the power steering goes, he can't turn the wheel. As an aside, I've been running my ZX 1.9D without power steering for a few days while I located a new mount for it. Doesn't half build up you upper half. Fitted the parts today so power steering is back online. Just about threw the car through a hedge on the first corner :-)

Reply to
Tunku

Suddenly stop from 2 to 4 miles per hour?

Not when you stall it doesn't. You need to take the key out (or at least turn it off) before it locks.

Idle Control Valve. It controls how much air gets in to the engine when the throttle is closed. If it doesn't open when it needs to, for whatever reason, you'll stall.

But I think it'd be most likely to when you put your foot on the clutch.

Reply to
David Taylor