Rip off Halfords

I do a yearly oil change with castrol GTX (The high mileage version if available if not ordinary one)

Last year I was paying approx 12/13 pounds for a 5 ltr flagon.

Just been to Halfords and bought some which is £16.99 !! Not only that but I have just realised their cunning new flagon only contains 4 Ltrs!!

I tried two supermarkets who priced 5 ltrs at about £20. Should have bought that in hindsight but it seemed so expensive.

Any suggestions for an alternative..dont want mickey mouse ..and where to get it.

In Medway.. # Cheers

Reply to
Capt T

Halfords is about £4.24 / litre. Supermarket £4/litre. I'm assuming Halfords price you quote is GTX and the Supermarket something "badged"- if so 24p / litre extra doesn't seem that bad.

I "stock up" on Halfords own brand synthetic when it is on special offer and use it in all our cars, once they are out of dealer service for warranty. I suppose I could save a few £ per year (our use requires only one change per car per year) but is it worth driving all over the Medway towns when Halfords in the Brook is only a slight kink in the drive home?

Reply to
Brian Reay

Oil prices have risen quite substantially over the past year.

Reply to
moray

Have you got a Costco? The high mileage GTX is approx £8 for 5 litres.

Reply to
R D S

Castrol is piss anyway. Get something that actually has a decent additive pack and complies to some manufacturer's specificications...

Reply to
Doki

Castrol make the very expensive long life stuff for BMW...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're right. Still, you can get oil complying to the same specs for less...

Reply to
Doki