Proton 1.5 GLS Fuel Injection (I think)

My wife's 1995 1.5 Proton GLS has problems keeping running when started, either hot or cold.

When it is started, the car really doesn't want to tick over until the 'engine check' light goes out - this takes about 5 seconds of engine running. (Madly pumping the accelerator!)

Does anyone know why? What can cause this? Is there a sensor that I have to replace? I assume the proton uses a mitsubishi-based injection system - has anyone else had this sort of problem on their mitsubishi car?

Many thanks

Adam

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam

Hmmm this is a real tricky one to diagnose without having the car in front of you! What if you turn on the igntiion- wait for the MIL to go out, then start the engine- does it run ok then??

How does it run at other times?

Could be literally anything- but a check over of all the battery feeds, fuses, relays and earths around the engine bay- including those on the air mass meter would be a good start.

Yes it is a mitsi system.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Ok, I don't know what it causing it, but I can speculate on the reasons.

When the car is starting the sensors haven't settled down yet and the computer will deliberately overfuel to make starting easier and to get things up and running.

Once the engine has run for a bit, the computer starts taking accout of the downstream sensors and pumps in the right amount of fuel based on how much is getting out into the exhaust (well, that's not strictly true but it'll do as a description.)

If the car is having trouble in open loop fuelling, it might be flooding / struggling in some way which closed loop (sensors determine the injection period) makes work fine.

Reply to
antispam

I had idle problems on a proton 1300 and adjusting the value clearances helped. I found the proton engines needed this doing every 6000 miles otherwise they go out.The car would run perfectly as the engined warmed. I had a ford which did 180k and never needed it doing so check first here.

It could also be that the front pipe on your exhaust is failing. This exhaust has a flexible bit just under the sump before the exhaust sensor. If you have a leak here there could be problems until there is a decent flow going.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Thats the biggest load of twaddle I've ever heard!!! lol