squeaky clutch

Hi, I bought my first car a few months ago (a 1995 Vauxhall Astra) and as I've never had a car before I'm not sure whether this is a problem or not and was wondering whether anyone here can give me advice? We went for a long drive yesterday and on the way home the clutch started sort of creaking when I took my foot off it after changing gear. It sounds like a squeaky/creaky spring and happens everytime I use the clutch now. Gears are changing fine and the clutch itself feels as it always has. Is this a sign that my clutch is on the way out or do they just develop squeaks occasionally? Should I take it to a garage to be checked or just leave it for now? I have a young child so don't want to risk it going completely while we're out but also don't want to get ripped off at a garage when there's no need. Thanks in advance for any tips :O) Mel.

Reply to
Mel

Clutches normally develop a few creaks/squeaks with age. As long as the clutch is still working OK (from what you've said, it is), then there's nothing to worry about.

Moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks for that. Can save my money for a bit longer then! lol Mel.

Reply to
Mel

%some dood% scribbled:

Hi, I used to have a 93 Astra and my clutch started making a squeaking noise like that and after a couple of months, the clutch cable snapped where it fits through the pedal. I had a new one fitted and after 6 months this did the same. Finally, I bought a spare cable and when it snapped again, got the AA to fit it for me, no squeak and a year later when i sold the car, the cable was still intact. All I can assume is the garage that fitted the two previous cables didn't quite do it properly and this caused the cable snap. The squeak was the "lug" on the end of the cable slowly wearing through until it broke.

Regards,

Lee.

Reply to
LeeEskriett

No idea on what's up with the clutch, but if it does go, you can generally start the car moving in first on the starter and change gears without the clutch if you can get the revs on the engine right for the gear you're trying to go in, or if not just drive in first, it'll be noisy but you won't do the car any harm as long as you don't drive for hours. Saves you from waiting in the middle of nowhere for the AA.

Reply to
Doki

I've done this a couple of times when I've had sudden clutch or cable failure. It's ok if you can keep the car moving but it's usually sods law that every traffic light goes against you!

Reply to
Mark

Yep. And busy roundabouts are fantastic :P.

Reply to
Doki

IIRC it's often the clutch pedal return spring (common on Cavaliers too, the ones I've had at any rate) and can be cured with WD40, spray grease or similar. It can be a bit tricky though as the trim panel above the footwell has to be removed, then refitted without fouling the movement of the pedals.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Heard this on many Vauxhalls, regardless of model. My Cav used to do it, a colleagues old Nova did it, the Astra he bought after that did it etc, etc.... I think it's just one of many "characteristics" of Vauxhall ownership and nothing much to worry about. The Cav that I had was basically reliable, but developed enough minor faults in 1 year of ownership to put me off Vauxhalls for life!

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Took it out today and the squeak had gone but couldn't get it into gear at all after stopping at the first set of traffic lights I came to. After struggling for a few minutes I finally got it into 2nd (wouldn't go into

1st) and managed to get home. Funny because the gears changed fine after that. Anyway, booked it into a garage for a check up on Wednesday. Hope it's not too expensive as we're skint at the moment!! Perhaps a new clutch? Roughly how much do they cost? Mel.

Reply to
Mel