Pug 406 keys

Ok I've lost my spare, I think it was in the jacket that vanished out of the back when I drove home with the tailgate partly open (carrying a bed if you must know). Anyway SWMBO takes the remaining key to Peugeot today who say it's laser cut and will cost £140 to replace! Timpsons say it's a main dealer only job too. Any other solutions?

I think I could possibly make one. I don't care about the plipper function but I do need a spare key if I carry on this way!

Reply to
malc

Hi Malc, I have had a similar problem and I went to a good local locksmiths ( not Timpsons ) who supplied a key and programmed the ECU. The problem is that there is a transponder in the key that talks to the ECU and allows the car to start therefore a home made key will not work. I think it cost approx £40. The guy is in Bolton, I can give you the details if it is of interest but you will have to take the car to him as it is not possible to copy the transponder. Dave G

malc wrote:

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Cheers. It's a1998 car so I was wondering if it was that complicated. It seems to work with a flat battery in the key. Bolton is a bit far but if you can work out my email address from the headers I'd be grateful for the info.

Reply to
malc

Dave G via CarKB.com ("Dave G via CarKB.com" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not necessarily on a mid-late '90s PSA car.

I _think_ the change from keypad to transponder came with the facelift, but doesn't much matter - if it's got a keypad PIN immobiliser, there's no transponder. If it hasn't, there is.

Personally, I prefer the PIN - lose the keys, the car still can't be nicked.

Reply to
Adrian

Hello Malc! You too, eh? I don't want to be the harbinger of doom to a friend, but you might want to check out the thread entitled 'long shot...', where you'll see that I have a similar problem with a certain Transit minibus.

Have you still got the master key? Things are a lot easier if you've got that, and shouldn't cost as much as the amount the dealer told D.

It might take a couple of days if they haven't got the necessary blanks in stock - be prepared to have to go back; be prepared even to leave the car and the key you've got with them for a couple of hours. Under no circumstances let them tell you that you need a whole new lockset unless it turns out to be absolutely necessary. The Ford main dealer have had the bus for over a fortnight now, and it's taking all I've got to continue being polite to them.

Good luck.

Reply to
Coombs

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Apart from the numbers wearing out on the keypad, meaning there aren't that many combinations to try before you hit on the right one.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I had the same code (with two digits the same) on my XM for 80k miles - and there was no visible wear...

But even so - there's still a lengthy lockout after three wrong tries.

Reply to
Adrian

ished out of the

No master key on this one I'm afraid.

Malc

Reply to
Malc

vanished out of the

No master key on this one I'm afraid.

Malc Have you got a security code? Usually 4 or 5 letters, comes on a credit card type of thing, which help set the immobiliser.

Reply to
Brian

Hmmm..... there may be a code in the owners handbook. I assumed and so did the previous owner that that was the radio code.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The code will be on a card vabout the size of a credit card usally with a picture of the key on it

i know where your comming from the buggers want £200.00 for a spare key with plip on my new van

Reply to
steve robinson

Nope, not got one of those.

Apparently there's someone in Malvern who can do it for between £40 and 70

Reply to
malc

Uh-oh...

Fingers crossed.

Reply to
Coombs

Don't need one. Just a code to program the keys apparently.

It's a stupid syustem needing a master key IMO.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Hope your PCM behaves better than mine is :'(

Reply to
Coombs