Puncture in yokohama

I have just had a puncture repaired by KwikFit.

A friend said not to do a long motorway journey in the car because the tyre had a puncture repaired.. Is this correct as I have a 5 hour journey coming up in a month?

Thanks all

Simon

Reply to
Simon

I take it your friend is thick and you didn't listen to what you were told in the garage, another one for the "helpless filter". It's a new feature in Outlook Express to filter out the following type of posts -

Posts from completely helpless people that can't do anything for themselves. Posts on behalf of "a friend" which doesn't really exist. Posts from people without any common sense and who make no effort. Posts from people expecting others to answer on behalf of companies they deal with. Posts from so-called experts who haven't a clue.

It's happening in a lot of newsgroups now, not just this one. A new breed of Internet user.

You were probably told not to drive at high speed for long periods of time straight after leaving the garage - that's all. If in doubt why not phone the KWIK FIT that repired your tyre. That would be the most sensible thing to do, I am sure if you post the number someone will do it for you! Also post the invoice number.

Reply to
Ian

Bo**ocks. Provided that the tyre has been repaired correctly, and was a suitable candidate for repair, then you should have absolutely no problems.

There are issues with space-savers and the aerosol tyre repair systems that require you do do no-more than xxx mph and yyy miles. Maybe your friend was confusing these.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I wasn't told anything in the garage. If I was "probably told" anything I wouldn't ask here.

I wonder what filter you come under. Perhaps the sarcastic, I know everything and lets slag everyone off as I am insecure about myself filter?? Or just the lets have a go at someone asking for help filter? Where do you people get off YAWN !!!!

Reply to
Simon

The message from "Simon" contains these words:

Your friend needs a few new ideas in his/her head. Properly repaired tyres are fine.

Reply to
Guy King

thanks Mike

Reply to
Simon

thanks Guy

Reply to
Simon

A puncture in the tread and not shoulder area should not be a problem when plugged / patched on the inside. Most client complaints originated from delamination caused after years of running with a poor repair and water getting into the steel bracing underneath the tread block and above the carcase cords.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Had a puncture in mine the same damn week I bought the car (It has Yoko's on it too) :(

The AA came out, put a rubber bung in the hole and it's been fine since. It has been on track days and all sorts without issue, if I can do 140+ on it then you should be ok at 70mph

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Well, quite, but this one was repaired by Kwik-Fit.

Reply to
Adrian

Are you suggesting Kwik-Fit don't know what they are doing? They are a very professional bunch who only took a week to fit my Volvo 740 rear silencer the right way up with the right parts. I had to instruct them how to, but it is nice to impart ones knowledge on others, and I'm sure they have retrained their professional fitters by now. One car down, so many more to go.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

lol@Stuart

Reply to
reg

Stuart Gray (me@home) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Would I?

Reply to
Adrian

Many thanks Tim. I bought 5 in January cost a small fortune so I was reluctant to fit a new one when a fix would do the job. They have lots of tread left on them.

thanks for the reply matey

Simon

Reply to
Simon

If they cost anything like the ones on my car, I'm not suprised.....

No Probs

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Whilst I wouldn't be quite so cutting as Ian with my remarks I do feel that what he says is a worrying trend. Tyres are of course a very essential part of what keeps you on the road and alive and kicking and I personally wouldn't entrust my life to a bunch of people that just happen to hang around in usenet. I'd be certain to at least have a clue on something so essential and ultimately be sure to seek profesional advice if I was unsure.

Not knocking you guys here because usenet is a damned good source of information and knowledge but how long before someone comes along with such a basic question as this, has a trye blow-out and sustains serious injury then attempts to sue the people that said it would be fine? Brake disks and the like are often beyond the realm of the average driver and I can understand queries for things like that but come on, tyres and puncture repairs and tales of the unexpected from a 'friend'? Worrying indeed!

Reply to
Dave

Simon ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you've got a set of five, why not put the patched one as the spare and use the new spare instead?

Reply to
Adrian

When did you have have the op to have your sense of humour and common sense removed?

Reply to
gazzafield

While I appreciate what you are saying I merely asked a question. I was told not to do a motorway journey on a repair. I have since found out from here that's its OK to do so. I did consider contacting kwikFit to ask them but as I was on the net and have used the group before and had excellent advice from a number of people this was my first point of call. Thing is when you call someone to get advice you are getting one persons whereas here you get several replies all enforcing the correct answer.

I admit I am totally clueless about cars. i dont mind saying that but there again i am a nurse. how many people can remove stitches or give emergency care? What i am saying is each to their own. If i knew everything I wouldnt need the net.

Reply to
Simon

I fix computers for a living but I can also fix most things on my car or motorbike. What's your point?

Reply to
gazzafield