Slow puncture but no sign of leaks!

I have a slow puncture on my front two tyres - they go from about 31psi to

22psi over a two week period. I took it in to KwikFit today and there are no signs of puncture so I got them to fit a new value and balance so hoping this will fix the problem.

Has anyone had any experiences with this and could there be anything else (can't think what)? How likely is it that the valve has failed?

Btw, the tyres are a Michelin Exalto 205/55/15.

Thanks

Reply to
Scooby Doo

Also sprach "Scooby Doo" :-

Sometimes on steel wheels the rim can get slightly corroded, or the paint bubbled which will let them go down slowly.

On alloys it's possible for the metal to be porous. Laquer will cure this if done properly.

Reply to
Guy King

the tyre,they should of done that whilst they had the tyre off.

HTH.

Reply to
Simondo

Reply to
Neil

same problem with our wheel. local firm, not a big load of twits with a national firm, took tyre off, cleaned rim with wire brush, put in new valve anyway and reseated/fitted it all for £10. Hope all is well... won't know for a few days yet of course. They used water/washing up liquid splashed over the rim of the tyre/wheel while it was flat onthe ground and we could se a tiny. miniscule stream of minuscule bubbles - hence the week it took to go down a couple of psi. You'll probably be the same. I wonder why KwikCrap didn't find the same sort of problem?????

Reply to
Rude Olf

Basically, because they don't dunk tyres in water.

Reply to
Taz

True - they piss on the customers instead.

Reply to
Rude Olf

use Holts tyre weld done this for years and always works, does not matter how bad the wheel is still seals it up good. Interested in what other peoples views of this are ?? I have had no bad effects that I have experienced but may have been lucky.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

It takes about fifteen minutes to do the job properly by removing the tyre, cleaning the rim with a powerfile (the perfect tool for the job and refitting.

If you use tyre weld stuff the rim may bubble up else where and leak and the remaining tyre weld may or may not seal it. Tyre weld can mask a puncture that should be fixed and you end up with a soft tyre that then runs too hot and breaks up at motorway speed, there can also be balance problems with tyre weld. If tyre weld was any good on a long term basis then I expect some manufacturers would fit it from new. Tyre weld is really a get you home product IMHO

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful