puncture

Hello again,

Well I've just bought some tyres for my car; now it seems I might need one for the OH's car.

My other half phoned me to say that she had gone to her car to find one tyre completely flat. I'm a bit cross because it was a relatively new tyre with 8mm of tread on it and it was on the back. Perhaps it's an old wives tale but I thought rear tyres were less likely to get punctures, and ones with thick tread especially so?

There's a great big piece of metal stuck in the middle of the tyre.I would like to pull it out to see exactly what it is, but felt I should leave it there to help locate the hole if I took it to be repaired. It could be a nail.

The object is in the middle of the tyre but I'm not sure whether it is repairable because I didn't get home until a few hours later by which time the car had been sitting on it for a few hours. I took the wheel off and the section that was in contact with the ground has remained straight. Does this mean the wall has been damaged?

I didn't want to try and inflate the tyre and pop the wall back in case the garage wanted to see it but OTOH I don't know whether they might realise I have no idea about tyres and use that to sell me a new tyre whether I need it or not.

Oh and one last thing, when I went to fetch my trolley jack from its blow moulded case, I noticed a small amount of oil in the case. I think I tempted fate by posting about how long it had lasted in the Lidl jack thread! Is this oil a message to replace the jack as well as the tyre?

What does the group think?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

rear tyres are more likely than front to get punctures since the front tyres run over and stand up the nails etc. and then the rear tyre runs it over. only inspection can say if it is repairable. mark the side of the tyre to show where the puncture is and pull the bit out to get a better idea. tyre places may earn more from a puncture repair than selling a new tyre.

jacks often leak a little from the pump seal, when it has leaked a lot the lift height will be reduced.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Less likely, but not impossible.

You did right.

No. It will become round again when inflated. As long as it hasn't been driven on while flat, it sould be OK.

Tell them you want the puncture repairing. If it's beyond repair, they should show you why. If they refuse and give no convincing reason, take it somewhere else.

It's a message to make sure it's right way up.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

In message , Fred writes

Before I remove an object causing a puncture I draw a chalk line on the tyre wall. Better advice will follow from elsewhere. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

I just leave the offending item in situ. Works for me. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hello,

The other night I took the wheel off in the dark and fitted the spare. I telephoned around a couple of places and found the price of a repair is £12-£18. However, I have since been outside and seen the tyre in the daylight for the first time.

This is the puncture; it is too wide for a normal nail; could it be something like a cut clasp nail? I removed it out of curiosity and it must be at least 2 inches long, perhaps slightly longer. Half of it was inside the tyre and half was outside.

I now worry that the tyre has been driven on whilst flat. The surface of the nail is bent and shiny from rubbing against the tarmac; of particular concern to me is that there is a black ring around the side wall of the tyre, which I assume is from the rim pressing on the tyre.

I haven't had chance before now, due to work, to go anywhere but I will take it to an expert tomorrow for their opinion.

By the way, where should I have put the space saver? It's a FWD car and the puncture was on the rear. Should I have put it on the rear or would it have been better to move a wide tyre to the back and fit the space saver to the front, and why?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

That's the only sensible option. No one here can fully assess the tyre damage. FWIW, unless the sidewalks are damaged, I would expect it to be repairable.

Just drive carefully (and within the required speed limits for the spacesaver) until you get it fixed. If you can't manage that for as long as it takes to get it repaired or replaced, god help us all!

(Theoretically, it would be safer on the front as it'll be less likely to induce uncontrollable oversteer if you drive like a loon)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Given it's entirely to their advantage to refuse to repair it if they wi= ll =

it's probably as safe as any other tyre you get with a 2nd hand vehicle.=

Reply to
Duncan Wood

the sidewall damage may preclude repair.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That was my worry when I saw the marks on the tyre wall for the first time. Other replies here suggested it's not so much what the outside looks like but what the inside looks like. I took it to a reputable garage today and they said it looked ok inside. They didn't show me the inside but if they had, I wouldn't have known what I was looking for. They have repaired it. Time will tell if that was the best action.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

I hadn't thought of it like that before, thanks. When buying a 2nd hand car I might change the oil and filters etc. pretty soon as a precaution but I have never thought to change the tyres until now. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Yes, I have read several discussions here debating whether new tyres should go on the front or back, and I was wondering whether the same logic applies that the space saver should go on the front. The original tyre is back on but if there is a next time, I'll put the space saver on the front.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

I used the jack again today to remove the space saver and fit the repaired wheel. Mr C said that if too much oil leaked, the lift height would be reduced. I didn't notice that. My worry was more that the jack might fail in use causing the car to fall (but I suppose the reply to that is: that's what axle stands are for).

I didn't wipe the jack last time, so although there was some oil on it today, it could have been there from before. This time I have cleaned it so we will see what it is like next time I use it.

I was interested in your comment about keeping it the right way up. When the case is stowed with the hand up, the jack is actually on its side. I will now try and store it so that the jack is lying as it would in use. I hadn't realised they had to be stored in a particular orientation.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

the reservoir has to be vented to atmosphere or the jack will not work, logically the vent is at the highest point when the jack is in its normal orientation, so on its side or upside down it is very likely to leak.

Reply to
Mrcheerful