Repairable puncture??

A tyre nicely collected part of a hinge causing a narrow cut some 20mm long in a tyre. The cut is a nominal 45 degrees diagonal to the tyre axis but close to the centre.

I'm presuming such a long cut would render it unrepairable.

This is a pretty new tyre for a 4x4 so wondering what the criteria is for when a puncture is repairable.

Reply to
Fredxx

I don’t claim to be an expert but if the ‘structure’ ( the ‘cords’) are ok, ie it is just the ‘surface’ rubber you only have a small hole they can plug and patch properly, you may be lucky.

I don’t cut ( no pun intended) corners with tyres but, a while back, I had a puncture (glass) which I assumed would mean a new tyre. I use a small independent chap and said as much when I took it in. He looked at it and assured me it was safe to repair. The explanation above is what he told me.

I suspect part of the logic is that the ‘surface’ rubber wears away. While you can see a long cut now, it may not be deep, and after awhile, it will appear to shrink was the tyre wears with use. The actual integrity of the tyre isn’t compromised, at least not enough to be an issue.

Reply to
Brian

Sadly the hole accommodated a piece of metal 20mm wide x 1mm and the extent of the cut will be the full depth of the tyre.

I feel I was very unlucky to have collected what was part of a hinge.

Reply to
Fredxx

^^^^^^

Reply to