Punto 1584cc Engine

As title, was wondering if this engine is 'safe' in terms of cambelt failure.

Yes it's broken and yes i should have changed it ages ago.

I just need to make the decision whether to chuck it in the bin or get it repaired. Anyone have useful advice?

1995 N plate. 110000 miles Bodywork OK for the year. Prolly worth around £400 if the truth be known.

Thanks

Dan.

Reply to
Dan

When did the belt break , at high speed/ high engine revs or as you turned the engine over to start her up

at high speed / high engine revs very few engines will survive unscathed

If you were just starting her then there is a 50% chance that its worth repairing , thers only one real way to find out

Reply to
steve robinson

was travelling about 20-25mph, just changed gear into 3rd and ...bumph

Reply to
Dan

Chueck it and get a new motor and pay more attention to servicing needs.

Reply to
James

some nice words and some wise words that will be heeded. Thankyou.

Reply to
Dan

If it was me, I'd put a new belt on and cross my fingers. If it's knackered, scrap it.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

If it's an 8valve, you might get away with it.

16valve, and it'll be fecked.
Reply to
moray

i might do as Chris said and try a new belt. It's an 8 valve 1.6 (title should have read 1581cc)

I've already done the AA thing of spinning the engine on the starter with no ill-sounding noises (apart from no camshaft spinning). But then...it did stop kinda suddenly.

Reply to
Dan

the AA will love you for posting that !! you should NEVER spin an engine over with a suspected broken cambelt, because if there's was no damage before, you've more then certainly done some damage now.

Reply to
reg

pants :-(

didn't wanna hear that, oh well

Reply to
Dan

Depends upon whether it's an interference engine. If it isn't, spinning it over is not going to cause any further damage. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

thanks mike, unfortunatley, that question was raised in my original post and noone seems to know yet. I guess I will when I get to have a look-see.

Reply to
Dan

autodata says that it is an engine where valve damage is MOST LIKELY on belt failure

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Very lazy western-style engineering; there's no reason real good reason, except cost-cutting, that timing chains and non-interference couldn't be the norm in all cars, not just Japanese.

Reply to
Tyr

thanks for the ultimate reply Mrcheerful...although your current grin at my predicament is most unwelcome.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for the information.

The Mrs seems to want me to have a new car right now rather than repair the little beastie. Ebay here we go......

Reply to
Dan

Not all Japanese cars are chain-cam, and very few of them are non-interference.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Come to that, chains can fail too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I take no pleasure in it. 99 per cent or more of belt failure is preventable by routine maintenance, so I find it depressing to hear if yet another car written of the sake of a service, it doesn't do the planet any good either.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Oil and timing belts are really the only required maintenance excluding the obvious-fail items such as brake discs/pads that are consumables anyway. Seems a waste that so many cars get ditched just because a plastic belt goes.

Reply to
Tyr

Indeed. And the plastic sprockets that Toyota sometimes use...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan