Judder in reverse

My daughter has a 3 year old (UK) MX5. If reversing with lowish revs the car judders. Is it the sign of a problem?

Reply to
John

Not necessarily. If it only occurs when the clutch is partially engaged, she needs to use more rpm and work on her clutch technique.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

What's a "judder" ??

never heard the term in my life ??

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

it's a j j j j j j j jaw shaking rattle

Reply to
Jess

Bit like an orgasm ?

Reply to
Col:

I thought that my US - English may be a problem!

A violent shake! judder, shake -- (shake or vibrate rapidly and intensively; "The old engine was juddering"

It seems cruel to the clutch to use too many revs. Could it be an engine Mounting that is too soft?

Reply to
John

Cool! I now have a "new" word in my vocab :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Imagine the Queen of England in her gold coach going to open Parliament - or Troop the Color. As the coach goes over the cobbled streets she will say to Philip, " The coach has a real judder today"

Reply to
John

In the states we might say the clutch "chatters". Regardless, my '98 Miata developed a clutch chatter that, over weeks, became worse. It turned out to be the front transmission seal leaking oil onto the clutch. The clutch and seal were replaced under warranty. FWIW, this happened after I switched to Red line MTL in the transmission. The dealer told me that it was common for the seals to fail when synthetic oil was used in the transmission (possible BS?). They did the work under warranty because the owner's manual said nothing about avoiding synthetic lubes.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Maheux

BS. While it's true that switching to synthetic after many years of dino oil may cause seals to weep, it ain't gonna happen to any Mazda still under warranty.

I started using MTL at 60k miles, and my tranny doesn't leak. I just passed 128k.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers