freelander clutch judder

hi,

My year old td4 has developed clutch judder is this common, and what would have to be done under warranty to correct the problem, any help please

Dave

Reply to
D&M

My 2 year old Td4 has had a number of cluthch related problems. Had clutch release bearings replaced and a new clutch, but it still slips when towing my caravan!!! It has a permanent clutch judder now. I am not too bothered at the moment because I am in the middle of legal proceedings to get my money back and compensation from the dealership.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Stew... My 3 year old TD4 has just had a new clutch,release bearing and slave cylinder replaced after 37k miles. Heap of crap springs to mind !!! Please keep us all informed with your battle with the dealers and good luck.

Danny.

Reply to
WOODD173

Stew, How come you have to take legal action towards your dealer? Surely it would all be covered under your warranty? And you really should`nt have to fork anything out in the first place.........or do you mean money back on the car? keep me informed :-)

Reply to
D&M

This is why I am taking action:- WARNING, YOU ASKED!!! This is a repost of "are all freelanders this s**t?!" - updated.

Freelander Td4 ES - Reg March 2002, Owned by me since March 2004 (6 months)

13th March Car purchased from Dealer at inflated price which is supposed to reassure you of its quality and dealer commitment to your satisfaction.

Was not cleaned and valeted as promised. Smells heavily of tobacco smoke. Price label from windscreen still in the back and chewing gum in the ashtray.

Car taken back within a week to have tracking/balancing corrected.

2 calls to Dealer

April 'Clunking' noise when turning or accelerating. Car brought to Dealer 4 times. 1st time - No Fault Found. 2nd time - No Fault Found. 3rd time - Fault Found - Engine Mounting detached from chassis. 4th time - Engine mounting replaced - 2days.

Car cleaned and valeted.

4 calls to Dealer

'Whining' noise present when clutch pedal is depressed.

1 trip to Dealer - No Fault Found. 1 call to Dealer

May 'Whining' noise when clutch pedal is depressed now more evident.

1 trip to Dealer - Clutch release bearing changed. 1 call to Dealer

Spare wheel found to be very badly 'stepped'. Severe tread wear on one edge. This was found when the cover was removed for the first time. Supposed to be covered as part of 'Land Rover Approved' inspection prior to vehicle inspection. Replaced by dealer after four telephone calls and a discussion at dealer.

1 trip to Dealer to replace tyre

Previous owner says spare tyre has never been used. 4 calls to Dealer

First time we took the car on holiday to pick up our caravan, the car failed to start. Phoned L.R Assistance but before they got there the car started. No Fault Found at Dealer

Steering squeaks/squeals when turned.

3 trips to dealer. 1 call to L.R.Assistance 3 calls to Dealer 1st trip - No Fault Found. 2nd trip - Fault found - steering rack.

June 3rd trip - New steering rack fitted in June.

Previous owner had steering rack replaced after owning the vehicle for about a month. This means the vehicle now has its third steering rack!

July Turbo hose ripped open whilst coming back from a weekend break. Temporary repair carried out by L.R.Assistance - about 3 hrs in total. Had dinner with children in service station whilst waiting.

1 trip to dealer to replace hose. 1 call to L.R.Assistance 2 calls to Dealer

Cubby box catch breaks.

August 60,000 mile service carried out.

Cubby box lid replaced.

Clutch slips intermittently.

2 trips to Dealer - No Fault Found.

Dealer eventually agree to change clutch. Work carried out on 12th August. Labour is F.O.C. Parts paid for by customer.

1 trip to Dealer. 4 calls to Dealer

27th August whilst on holiday, clutch 'burns' severely. Smoke pours from under bonnet & fills car whilst reversing caravan 20ft onto a grass pitch.

28th August L.R.Assistance advised not to drive the car. Car recovered to Calais ferry port, then from Dover to home. Car recovered to Dealer on 30th August. 1 trip to Dealer - No Fault Found.

Car still smells of burning, especially when air-con used in hot weather.

1 call to L.R.Assistance 3 calls to Dealer 3 calls to cust services.

This spoiled a planned shopping trip in Calais, which was the whole point of booking a caravan site nearby, so that we could take the car and go shopping. The recovery from Dover took 9 hours, which was not fun, especially with two young children. Dinner was a selection of service station sandwiches.

September Squeak/squeal is back on steering even though car is on its 3rd steering rack. 1 trip to Dealer (14th) - Technician and service manager looked at and agreed there was a fault.

I took the car to the dealer yesterday to book it in. I read the job sheet carefully. It said 'Vehicle test driven by customer with service manager and technician present. NO OCCURENCE OF FAULT!!". This is a blatant lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The car has been back to Dealer 16 times since purchased (more than every 2 weeks on average, over 6 months). At least 28 trips have been made to Dealer causing a lot of inconvenience and costs such as fuel, time (including time off work), food for children due to having to collect before 6pm. The vehicle has marred 3 family breaks, including our annual holiday. Some telephone calls were made from home; other calls were made during work from a mobile phone.

I won't mention the name of the dealer as I am now in the process of recovering the cost of the vehicle plus expenses and compensation via a legal route after talking to trading standards. This was not my first choice, but faced with a laughing service manager when I asked for my money back, not to mention a salesman who only four months after I bought the vehicle offfered me £4K less for it as a p/x against a new disco, I feel I have little choice.

When this saga is over I will name and shame the dealer in question.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Shit man thats a lot of crap........should`ve bought a new one for what extra you pay its worth it, second hand are ridicoulus, and if they been thrashed previous you never know what untold damage has been done

Reply to
D&M

Don't you mean "are all LR dealers this s**t"?

Cheers

Blippie

-- Visit the alt.aviation.safety FAQ online at

Blippie