Q: Jump starting a car

From monday at netto £19.95

David Gough

Reply to
David Gough

DOH!!! That's what I meant :)

Reply to
Johnny

The reason is my driving schedule, encompassing only few, and quite short, trips; which is of course the natural enemy of the car battery.

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan W. Christensen

Thank you for that extremely timely hint. Went to Netto's, got the battery, and used it successfully to start the car.

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan W. Christensen

If the car is used so infrequently that the battery goes flat, I'd fit a master switch so it can be disconnected when not in use. Without any drain it will stay charged for a very long time.

Allowing a lead acid battery to go flat *drastically* shortens its life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Trouble is RS are quite expensive. Their Metrinch 1/2inch drive sets are over 100ukp aren't they? Damn good though.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Which is a very good argument for buying a battery charger. You can get them for very little money.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Stefan W. Christensen" contains these words:

At one point the wife's car got used for about a three minute drive twice a day for months on end [1] - it was an ancient auto Metro and never suffered from a flat battery. I'd suggest there's something wrong with your charging system. Have you measured the charging voltage?

[1] Before you all shout "Get a bike" she's disabled and was taking our son to the child minder's and simply couldn't manage the pushchair or walk that far reliably.
Reply to
Guy King

Not many places carry Metrinch unfortunately. I got my 3/8th set from RS a few years back, and it's worth every penny.

RS are one of those companies I really don't mind paying extra to. Their stock range is huge, and their customer service superb. For that, I'm happy to pay.

Reply to
Grunff

No I haven't, but its only happened this once. If it happens again I will get suspicious and check it out further.

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan W. Christensen