Ramp for hire?

At one time many small garages hired out their premises with use of major equipment etc on a Saturday and Sunday, etc, for DIY use - with a supervising mechanic present.

Does this still happen or has H&S legislation killed it off?

I'd love dry well lit easy access to the underside of my car for a number of small jobs that need doing. If anyone knows of this being available within a reasonable distance of S London (and approx hourly cost) I'd be a happy bunny.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

if my garage was tidier, I would offer you the use of mine!

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Maybe if Dave offered to tidy it up? :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

You couldn't believe how bad it is at present, over the last three years I have worked less and less in it, but the junk just seems to keep piling up.

I can just about still get a large car in, but walking round it when the lift is down is impossible, you have to be a contortionist to get the ramp arms underneath, once the car is up things aren't so bad, but it is far from ideal. My get up and go has left in the last few years! to the extent that I have still not even driven the Ferrari (which is in another garage) since getting it !

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Mrcheerful you have to make time for the Ferrari. Set aside sometime and have a day off, sounds like you could do with one.

Reply to
dadindistress

Doesn't it just. A couple of weeks ago I had to move out of 2 council garages I've rented for over 10 years, because they want to refurbish them. New roofs and doors etc. Took me 2 afternoons, and the hire of a transit type van to shift it all to

2 other garages about a mile away. I had a car parked in both. It was the stuff I had packed into every free space that took all the time to shift. They tell me I can return to the garages once they've been fixed, but maybe I wont bother. :-) Thing is both of the old garages are in the same block and near home, whereas the ones I have now are not as convenient. One is nearer, but the other is about a mile away

I know what you mean. Even a few months ago I would never have dreamed of letting someone other than myself to work on my car, but the idea is getting more and more attractive as I get older. It's not so much about saving money by doing it myself, just that crawling around under cars is no longer any fun. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If you saw the state of the workshop in my house you'd not say that. I'm of the 'nothing ever gets thrown away as it will come in useful someday' school of tidying.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The squirel syndrome. I suffer from that as well. :-) The problem is finding the useful item that you know for certain you have, as you made a point of not throwing it away months or years in the past. And clearing out the garage I found a lot of useful items I'd forgotten I had. Anybody want an SD1 manual steering rack? :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That's useful? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whenever I want something which I have kept for years incase of dire need, I find I threw it out a week ago.

Reply to
Marlon

I thaught it was at the time, as it was in good condition. It's the one I removed when I converted my 2600 to PS. Free to anyone who wants it, otherwise it goes in the skip. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G