Rattle in an Omega

I have a Vauxhall Omega (2003 registration). It's just had an MOT (and needed 600 quidsworth of work to pass the test).

The following problem has recently developed. When I pull up at a traffic light and leave the car in gear, there's a rattle. If I put it in neutral, the rattle goes away.

What could this be?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Tim Walters

Auto or manual?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Reply to
Tim Walters

in that case it is probably something like, maybe, an auxiliary belt making a noise at the slightly lower engine speed that being in drive will give, or depending on the engine type there may be something like a rattling cam chain tensioner caused by the lower oil pressure at lower engine speed.

The only real answer is to get it serviced and get a mechanic to have a listen. If it is an internal engine noise then an oil change may do it the world of good.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Can you tell us where the rattle is? Under bonnet, within cabin, out the back?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Can't help, but as an ex-Omega owner (of 4 years) I found a lot of useful advice and information from the Omega Owners forums. Basically, a bunch of technically astute enthusiasts that know the Omega inside and out. Unlike a lot of owners forums, they know a bit more than how to add go-faster stripes and the like.

I don't know if posting this will upset anyone, but try

Mike Dodd

In message , Tim Walters writes

Spanner left on top of the gearbox/engine/wherever?

Mate has a surprisingly large collection of tools he's found by the roadside, including some very nice black impact sockets (only one missing) and a 2008 Autodata book last week!

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I pick them up too!! many spanners, sockets, a swivel socket, hammers, screwdrivers.....

the op noise might be as simple as a rattly exhaust, it is too broad a remit to know the right answer

Reply to
Mrcheerful