Rav 4 key fob stopped working?

I have a rav 4 (1996 model) and recently my key fob to unlock/lock the car and turn on alarm and immobilser has stopped working. Basically I opened the car with it then went to lock it and it wouldnt work. I have replaced the battery and this hasnt resolved the problem. The little red LED light comes on OK. It is the black rectangular fob with one red and one black button. When we bought the car two months ago we also got a second spare key. The fob on this has never worked which leads us to believe that it is a problem with the fobs and not something with the car. Anyone have any ideas for a fix or will I have to take it to the dealer and shell out what my mechanic tells me will be £80 or £90?

Many thanks for any help D

Reply to
DD

. . . I had a similar problem on my Avensis.

It was caused by me changing the batteries and in doing so being very careful to keep my fingers from touching the contacts and the batteries so that a good contact was made.

Unfortunately my over-zealousness meant that I took an inordinate amount of time and the bloody tronsponder forgot the codes!

I took it to the Toyota dealer in Leicester - Messers FARMER & CARLISLE and a very nice man reprogrammed the key and car in about 10 minutes at *NO* charge, for which I was extremely grateful.

HTH

Reply to
""manx.exile "

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will just take the car along on spec to my local dealer and see what they say. I did phone them today and they were on about booking the car in for a service etc as they didnt know what the problem was it could be the door sensor etc. I know its the key fob as the other doesnt work! But maybe in person it would be easier and they could just reprogramme or at least advise me how much it would be. Thanks for that! D

Reply to
dd_bdlm