Re - Diesel Recommendation

Hi. Sorry to nag you about this again.

I am liking the look of the 306 TD's that were recommended to me but... Are diesel engines as inefficient as petrol engines in terms of the mile an arf' run to work each day?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Well anythings ineffecient for that compared to a bicycle.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Assuming that your are able to ride a bicycle, then I would suggest that cycling 1.5 miles might be a better option. Try an electric bike if there is a big hill in the way. A small moped is also worth considering. I realise that many things might make the use of anything other than a car difficult, impractical or indeed impossible. I mean no offence if that's the case. Dave

Reply to
kellerma

I think the fast idle on these Diesels means it'll use a bit of extra juice when cold, but it will still use less fuel than a cold petrol engine over such a small distance.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes and no, depending on your perspective. :)

A 70 bhp diesel will use less fuel than a 70 bhp petrol over the distance, regardless of being hot or cold, *but* within this, a cold donk is still thirstier than a hot one.

The newer the design, the greater the difference appears to be.

Also something to bear in mind is that the diesel will never reach anything close to operating temperature, so you'll chew through glow plugs and when it's frosty, if you park outside, it'll take about as long to warm up as it will to walk.

Reply to
DervMan

You might also want to consider the big difference in costs of Petrol and diesel. I've had 3 diesels in a row, but if the prices remain the same I will buy petrol next.

Reply to
Clive Sinclair

Indeed. It's worth running the slide rule over it once more. That ~5% difference in fuel price does erode into the cost savings achieved elsewhere.

Reply to
DervMan

Although it depends if you can find Biodiesel nearby - My (two)local suppliers charge £1 per litre. the 306TD should be fine on it, or a

50-50 mix.

for suppliers
diy kits
for treehugger info