Re: How...?

This popped up on my YouTube feed today.

> > Seems awfully quick for an engine swap. (42 seconds) > >
> > Any thoughts on what sort of short-cuts they took to speed things up? > > Tim >

They must have prepared the engine with essential minimal clip-on hooks: electric, petrol, throttle, output shaft. I don't think it was trick video; they could have done that, but there would be no point. What you see is what happened.

B-reg 1984-85. I saw that many+ years ago at Esther Rantzen I think it was. Things that you don't know that you know...omg scary.

Reply to
johannes

I'd say now take the vehicle on a decent long journey and see if it makes it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my engineering days, I did a lot of work of tanks and armoured vehicles- not the mechanical side, electronics, navigation and related kit.

However, one of the tanks had as a selling point that the whole engine (and I think gear box). In one of the various meetings I attended, the engine swap was shown. It was a treat to behold. I think it was the M1A1.

Reply to
Brian Reay

the leopard had a removable engine box unit that dropped in quickly as a running package

Reply to
MrCheerful

could do what?

Headstands?

Jump cows?

How long did it take to change?

How long when under fire?

Reply to
Peter Hill

Sorry, the perils of not getting after editing- swapping the engine/gear box assembly.

I don't recall- I'm going back near on 30 years but I think it was under an hour.

They tend not to do that kind of thing in the battle zone!

However, it was done 'in the field', ie a makeshift work camp rather than a proper workshop. The whole 'drive unit' was just lifted out as a unit, having had the various connections disconnected etc. The engine was a modified version from some other application. Around that time I was involved with a number of armoured vehicles, including tanks. While I'm sure it was a tank, I'm not sure which one. I suspect the M1A1 as that was the tank I had most to do with. I spent some time in the US around then.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Here is a YouTube Video of the left part, although in a workshop:

Brian Reay