How to service the Defender

It is too cold now, but as soon as it gets a bit warmer, I think I need to service my 110. Unfortunately there is no much service history, so i don't really know what the previous owner has done to it.

So my question is - what would you suggest i need to do for the service? What is mandatory and what is optional?

About the vehicle - it is 1984 (A reg) 110, 3.5 petrol V8, with LT95 gearbox and LPG conversion.

The oil used in it at the moment is 10W-40. Should i continue using it, or would you suggest changing it to something else?

Do I need to service LPG components and how do i go about this?

Thank you very much

Reply to
Lev

Personally with a "new" old vehicle I would change all the fluids for a start. Engine oil and filter Gearbox oil Font and back axle oil (often water contaminated) Bake fluid (ditto) Coolant + antifreeze ( to ensure it's up to the job) Then check plugs, points, leads, brake shoes, all the normal service items. However you should be able to find Service Sheets on the net, for download, which can be a great help.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Lev uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'd certainly replace all lubricants as above and grease the prop shaft UJ's. Get a syringe and draw out all the old Brake fluid, top up with fresh, bleed off the lines and top up again.

Also top up the swivels and replace the ep90 in the diffs.

LPG wise is it a mixer set up on carbs at a guess?

Reply to
Dr_D

you could check and renew the LPG filter if necessary. Probably attached to the bottom of the first solenoid where the lpg pipe comes into the engine bay.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Except for the LPG equipment you should be able to find a service schedule somewhere on the net. Note that your 110 is a Landrover 110 or one-ten not a Defender, which did not appear until 1989. As others have commented, replace all fluids - you don't know whether they are correct or how old. JD

Reply to
JD

What you need is here:

Specifically for the maintenance schedule:

Dougal

Thank you very much for very useful information and most impressive downloads from

I will print all that and refer to it during servicing

As i said i currently use 10W40 oil, but documnet on th elink above recomends 15W40. Can i switch from one type of oil to another? Would you recomend doing it?

Thanks Lev

schedule:

quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Reply to
Lev

Lev,

IIRC you're near coventry arent you? You could always get some advice from Marcus and John at Wolston Garage.

They're pretty good when it comes to landies (I trust them, used them for 5 years to service my fleet)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

I would second that recommendation of wolsten garage, that used to be my home patch (born and brought up not 10 miles from them - now in NW Scotland) They know their stuff.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

On or around 25 Jan 2007 05:01:59 -0800, "Lev" enlightened us thusly:

decent 20W50 or if you can only get s**te 20W50 then decent 15W50. The 50 part is more important than the 20 part, 10W40 is too thin for the engine.

When changing the oil do the following: drain the oil, replace the sump plug and refill straight away with clean oil. Don't leave the sump empty longer than you have to and especially don't remove the filter with the sump empty.

Pre-fill the new filter with clean oil (with due consideration to the angle you have to hold it at to fit it), then spin off the old filter and as fast as reasonably possible spin on the new one. Start the engine as soon as you've put the new filter on and tightened it and make sure the oil light goes out, or if you have a pressure gauge, make sure you have pressure.

If you don't get pressure within about 15 seconds, you've done something wrong, and the pump need priming. If you follow the rules that shouldn't happen.

depending on the type of vapouriser, it may have a drain plug at the bottom, by removing it you can drain out "heavy ends". Shouldn't need doing all that often, though.

BTW, on an LPG engine, run at least 25% antifreeze at all times. under some conditions the vapouriser can freeze in a few seconds.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, I am near Coventry, but did not knwo about Wolston Garage. I will definitely pay them a visit at some point.

By the way, I am getting lots of help from 4x4 R Us in Warwick.

Thanks for the reply

Reply to
Lev

Hi and thank you for great reply. The oil change seems to be quite more complicated procedure then I thought :-)

How can I tell whether i have good 20W50 or s**te 20W50? Hallfords seem to sell one - is it good enough?

Also Hallfords sells engine flash - I guess it is not really suitable for my Landy - or am I wrong?

(or may be i should stop going to Hallfords alltogether :-) )

Thank you

the type of vapouriser, it may have a drain plug at the bottom,

Reply to
Lev

On or around 28 Jan 2007 16:12:26 -0800, "Lev" enlightened us thusly:

Hard to tell. Halfords do one in a tin called "classic" or somesuch, which seems OK in the series III.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

called "classic" or somesuch, which

Reply to
Lev

I am reading the service manuals. Many questions are answered, but even more questions are asked.

When replacing various oils, most of the washers need to be replaced too. But where do I get washers for One-Tens? Does anyone sell something like "a complete set of washers to service your landy"?

While servicing the car, I will need to grease some components, for example propeller shafts. Can you suggest what grease should I use? Will standard CL grease from Halfords do?

Thanks

Reply to
Lev