Re: Insurance claim questions (update).

Hi all,

So, the Mrs had a little prang in the tidy [1] 92 1.4i GLS 100k Astra (is it a Belmont when it has a boot?) recently and the Insurance Co rang today and said it was a write off (no real surprise there).

They have offered us £375, - the £100 excess and we can keep the car for nowt extra (really just needs a wing and a headlamp bracket repairing. Already replaced the indicator lamp for £7 new). ;-)

They also said we had to send them all the docs (V5, MOT, Insurance etc) and that they wouldn't offer us any further cover. They added that some Insurance Co's wouldn't be willing to insure something that had been even a financial write off?

Apparently we have to get it re MOT'd (only done a month ago :( ) and get some other identity check done for £38?

I've been looking about and such vehicles are a bit thin on the ground but similar stuff might go for more like £500 (seen a couple up round £800 with similar mileage).

So, is this where we start bartering ... I say £575 they say £475 etc?

Any general advise on this (in addition to my first post on this) appreciated please.

[1] Was my Dad's from nearly new, then the Niece, then Mrs.
Reply to
T i m

Same as before. Along with your refusal to the Ins Co, send the the details and prices of any comparable Belmont examples. Obviously the higher the price the better. Astra prices would probably be just as good if you can't find Belmont ones. And yes, the Astra with a boot was called a Belmont. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Confusingly the Belmont was a completely separate model in the UK, even though it was physically only a booted version of an Astra.

In the rest of Europe, there wasn't a separate model, it was just the saloon version of the Kadett (EU name for the Astra).

Reply to
PCPaul