Write Offs & Insurance Companies

Hi All,

I have an issue with my old insurance company (directline).

Had an accident in August, and they took my vehicle and inspected it with a view to repair (fully comp, but accident largely my fault). They deemed it a total loss, and wanted to write it off and pay out on the policy. I decided I didn't want the write off on the vehicle and repaired it myself (about a 1/3 of their figure) and declined to make a claim for the vehicle. I retained the V5C and all documents for the vehicle. This was because they wanted it to be a Category C write off and needed a VIC check before they would re-insure it. Now, coming to tax the vehicle again, I rang the DVLA and they told me that the insurance company have marked it as Cat C and VIC required, despite my instructions not to. Rang Directline and they claimed that it's "the law of the land" (direct quote) that they have to report it as a total loss, even if i've not asked them to do so. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I just have to suck it up and get it VIC'd and then just claim on the insurance and take the Cat C on the car's history? Or can I make them remove the Cat C and VIC requirement as I didn't ask them to?

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

Once on, you can't just "remove" CAT C as that's recorded by DVLA. A VIC is the only way out, but if you've repaired it properly that's little more than a formality.

Reply to
asahartz

Well, I know the insurance company can remove it (they already admitted their ability to do so, they just refused to do so), i'm more after their *right* to do so :)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall