Re: Insurance Q: how far covered for others' cars?

Even then you have to be careful. I remember my dad telling me

about a case involving

two neighbours of his, a father and son. They were both going

out for the day and

decided it would be a novelty to drive each other's cars, so

they set off, one

following the other. Neither were covered by each other's

policy, but they each had

third party cover to drive any car on their own insurance, so

they thought it would

be ok. The dad driving in front (in his son's car) had to

brake suddenly, and his

son (driving his dad's car) ran into the back of him. It

turned out that neither

insurance company would pay up for the damage to either of the

two cars - they

weren't happy, to put it mildly !

They should have swapped cars after the accident. Then no problem. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

John ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which is very probably true.

They don't. Fully Comp is not the only type of insurance about - other replies have covered the details.

It is.

It does. Fire and Theft is still covered by your insurance, as is the car when it's parked. Their insurance only comes into play when they are sat behind the wheel.

His insurance covers the injuries.

His insurance pays for the other car, your car is paid for by your son. Hopefully....

Reply to
Adrian

Strictly excluded on most policies e.g.

"5. what you are not covered for

We will not pay for: loss or damage to property in the care of the person claimin"

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You have a very low opinion of your son. Can you imagine a scenario where you uses your car, with your permission, has a pic-nic, fills it with petrol and comes home without killing himself/you/others? If you feel that he is likely to crash it then don't let him use it.

He'll be covered Third Party only while he is driving. You will be covered Third Party only when you are driving his car. Generally, if someone is using your car then they are doing you a favour (driving you from hospital, taking turns when you're driving overnight/you are ill while you drive/you are tired, etc.) so if the car is written off (which is highly unlikely - the roads are not that horrid) then you should put it down to experience. Shit happens.

I'm more concerned about your lack of confidence in your son. "I'll do it if you like, I'm insured to drive your car" "LIAR!"

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Nick ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I can hear hollow laughter from all around. I may not have a son, but if I did, I'd be severely worried if he returned my car full of fuel - I'd wonder what he was trying to hide. This is, of course, based entirely on what I was like when I was scrounging my dad's car soon after passing my test...

Experience?

Reply to
Adrian

Apparently they were kicking themselves afterwards that they hadn't! It had never occurred to them, for some reason, that none of the damage would be covered.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

I will never produce a child.