Re: How far can I go?

"Clive George" wrote in news:461531a6$0$8755$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

You'll easily do that trip from charged without lights - my BX > alternator (similar engine) died on the way home recently, and I > covered more than that. > > (won't need headlights to get to work on Saturday _night_?) > > I'd be tempted to put the battery on charge at work though. > >

Cheers Clive, no chance of charging battery at work, but I will be travelling in before it gets dark, and coming home after it's light. If need be, the work would jump start me for trip home.

Reply to
Tunku

As long as there's enough juice in the battery to hold the fuel solonoid open and work the dash gauges, it'll go for miles ( easily all day at least) once its running.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I could always pull the fuse for the dash lights, but for a thirty mile trip, with two cold starts, sounds like it's a breeze. FLW. (famous last words) :-)

Reply to
Tunku

If you're thinking of joining a recovery service on the spot *if* you need it, don't. It costs far more to join when you're already stuck...

And if you do need a jump to start it again, let it charge for a while - remember that charge has to get you all the way home.

Reply to
PC Paul

"PC Paul" wrote in news:8kcRh.6424$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

I've got recovery with my insurance. I just don't want to wait for them, if I know my car will do the journey with a full battery. Waiting for a couple of hours after a twelve hour night shift does not bear thinking about. :-)

Reply to
Tunku

Save on the cold starts.....bump it!

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

You could remove the stop solenoid plunger, and use the stop lever on the pump to stop the engine...

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon