Re: Smokey 306 Dturbo

If its running alittle lumpy too when its fired up, which then subsides

> along with the smoke, then you have a failed glowplug. Simple as that.

I hope not. The little bar stewards were changed a couple of months ago! Sod it - it's due a service anyway, so I'll pop it in the garage and see what they say - apart from coughing nastily if they're standing behind it when I fire the car up. :-)

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

Do you know what make of glowplugs were fitted? Its not unknown for cheapo ones to last for no more than a few weeks, or days even.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

What new plugs were used, and did they bother to change the very nasty bastard-one-to-get-at one behind the injector pump??

There are two types of plug fitted- those designed for after-glow and those which are not. Using the ones that don't with a 'plug relay with after-glow will see them burn out in short order. Likewise if anything other than quality Bosch plugs were used, they dont last either.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That's a good sign.

Bosche ones, per chance?

If it's a small enough leak, it simply lets the diesel drain back to the tank, and takes a few seconds to clear.

Reply to
DervMan

and they have numbers on the side it's either (from memory) 130 or 170

Reply to
dojj

Been there, done that - that's why they were changed in the first place. The smoke coming out on that occasion *was* blue, but I found out that it was being tinted that colour due to the language I was using. ;-)

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

My ZX TD still gives a lumpy start unless i wait a good 3-4seconds after the light goes out. I reckoned the glow plugs were due for a changed, (80k) but the Citroen say they test OK. I was stunned, i thought they'd jump at the chance!

JH

Reply to
JH