Re: Replacing battery in key?

I heard someone calling my name. I stopped.Turned around and saw Doki ,who whispered:

> Hi all. >> I'm in need of help. My girlfriend has a Ford Escort LX 1.6 >> 16v Kreg car. We found out by accident that the boot seems to be >> alarmed. We are not sure how much else of the car is protected by >> this alarm. I have looked around for more info.but still need more >> help. Her key has a button on it. Tried pressing and pointing at the >> car but nothing happens. I thought it just may be a light on the key >> to help find the key hole in the dark. But after hearing this alarm >> from unlocking the boot maybe its not. I have tried to open the key >> to replace the battery,but didn't want to use much force on fear of >> breaking it. Can anyone help me here? I have the information on >> reprogramming the key(if it alarmed by the key)but need to see if >> the battery is dead or not. How can I open up the ford key without >> forcing it? >> Any help will be appreciated. > > Aren't these buttons normally for a little LED in the key? I always > thought they were for lighting up the keyhole. Anyway, press the Ford > logo on the opposite side of the key down, and the bit with the > button should slide out. You can then prise that open and put a new > battery in. > > Opening the boot with the key, when the doors are locked with the > central locking always causes the alarm to go off AFAIK.

Thank you for your replies. With your help I ve managed to open up the key and it is indeed a light for finding the keyhole in the dark. But the bulb has blown. Thanks all the same. Of course I'm wondering now. If her car was broken into. Are the doors alarmed too. I now know the boot will beep if someone tried to open, but what about the passenger and driver doors. Do you think she still needs to buy an alarm or is the car protect with this what seems standard fitted alarm? Thank you again. PJ

Reply to
PJ

Doesn't the Escort have transponder keys? I was under the impression that they're relatively hard to nick. An Autolok would most likely put off the scallies from trying to nick the car, but it's not as convenient as an alarm. If you've got a good stereo etc. in there, get an alarm.

Reply to
Doki

mate, why dun u just arm the car and try opening the doors and see if the alarm goes off ?

Reply to
26ReD

"Doki" mumbled:

Do they? I've often wondered.

Reply to
Guy King

Aren't transponders a very recent thing - this car is quite old (K Reg)

Reply to
R. Murphy

I'm not sure. I thought I'd seen the red chip on the key of an old Ford, though I may be wrong.

Reply to
Doki

The vast majority of them aren't motivated to steal any particular car, they just want to drive around for a bit. A lot of them are put off by one of those yellow gearstick locks, and I doubt anyone will be particularly determined to to steal a K reg Escort. That said, older cars do tend to get broken into more, as the scalls know there's a lot less fiddling to be done to get it started.

I'm sure that people who steal cars to order / export them etc. know how to get practically anything off, but they won't be after an Escort. When I lost the transponder keys to my car, the locksmith set off to the car with his set of picks until I explained that I'd got a non-transponder key, and promptly cut me some new keys and cleared the ECU to register the new keys. There's a 10 minute wait on the Fords, but other cars can apparently be reset pretty sharpish. Enough kit and knowledge and you can break into anything.

Reply to
Doki

Does the Escort have deadlocks? If not, surely you can just pull off the window seal and start poking around until you get the lock to open (does it have security boxes?) / wedge the door open, and open the lock from the inside with a coathanger and jump in without the alarm going off.

Reply to
Doki