Rover 600s

I'm almost tempted to purchase a 620ti. I'll prolly get an earlier model for between 1 and 2 grand. Are these things bad for rot and is their anything I ought to be beware of on the car before I purchase?

TIA

Reply to
JamesSmith

They're s**te and there's much nicer cars out there for similar money?

More seriously - off the top of my head...... rear arches are starting to suffer from rot on early ones, the gearbox isn't strong enough - so most are on the verge of imploding fairly soon (unless already been rebuilt), and the usual Turbo hassles. (smoke, knackered bearings).

For £2k you could get a very tidy BMW E34 525i / 535i, something Italian with a lovely 24v V6 motor, Vauxhall Omega 24v......the list is endless.

Reply to
SteveH

We've plenty of 620ti owners in here, and a few jaundiced individuals who'd rather recommend something unreliable, rusty and Italian instead.

However, for the money, there's very little that can touch the 620ti in terms of performance versus price. Their "granddad" image is also beneficial, or at least it can be depending on your point of view. But I suppose given that you're looking at the model, the image isn't an issue with you.

They certainly don't have the (perhaps unfair) "tosser" image of the BMW, or "flash git" image of the Alfa Romeo.

Reply to
DervMan

Maybe. But much worse. And I can't think of anything of the same age with the 620ti's blend of performance, economy, and low price.

Reply to
DervMan

Why do people get hung up on the age? - a 10 year old BWM E34 5-series is going to feel newer than a 5 year old Rover 600..... and it'll last longer.

£2k would buy a last of the line P-plate, immaculate Alfa 164 V6. More power, more toys, more space and better rust resistance than a 600ti at the same age.

Obviously, that's my biased opinion - if you don't like Wop motors, then you wouldn't buy one - but I'd seriously consider a 10 year old E34 as an alternative.

Reply to
SteveH

Erm...... I've just recommended a 164 which is none of the above. Or a

155 to which the same applies.

So you'd go for rusty, unreliable and British instead? - only Brummies could screw a car together worse than the Wops, ffs!

Yes, that's right. They have poor image, poor handling, s**te gearboxes and rust-prone bodywork. Why would _anyone_ buy one over an E34?

Oh, right. You drive a Ford.... so even a Rover is a step up ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

lol, there ok cars the rovers, earlier ones look a bit s**te but later ones are okish, i'd rather have a slightly slower honda accord, same car but bolted together :)

Reply to
Vamp

Because not everyone wants to drive a wanky old italian banger ?

More seriously... oh, that's about as serious as it gets.

But it's still 10 years old, and still a BMW.

But who the f*ck would be utterly *stupid* enough to do that, except maybe someone with "I love Terry Fuckwitt" stapled on their forehead.

But less speed.

Which will, let's face it, unfortunately not work after the car has been out of the showroom for a couple of months (it's an Alfa).

For you to store all the tools you'll need when it strands you at the side of the road.

lol, yea right. You see hardly any rusty 600s, but every old 164 I've seen has had rot (and let's not get onto the galvanealed thing).

Yes, and that's all it is.

Reply to
Lordy

Apart from the italian bit of course. Oh, and the rust and unreliability.

Because fortunately most people realise they're none of the above and you're just talking out of your arse.

You got me on that one :)

Reply to
Lordy

No.

Firstly check it's not Italian (i.e that it's not unreliable or rusty, etc).

It's a turbo car, so check the headgasket and cooling system are fine. The gearbox is the main obvious weak point in the link, due to plastic bearing racers.

If you're going to get an old one, bear in mind that these cars do tend to be driven hard.

Reply to
Lordy

I'm not defending my car, I'm just pointing out how shit his idea of a 'good' car is. That makes anything else at all seem a substantial improvement :)

Only if there's a decent view (nothing italian).

Reply to
Lordy

The 600 was made in Cowley btw...

Reply to
Lordy

Very little else for the money thats as good. The old Alfa's will cost a fortune to run, an old and decent model beemer for the same money will be slower, and have done about 200,000 miles and cost more to run/insure/maintain. There are quite a few Ti owners in here (at least 4, i think more) and they seem to be pretty reliable, also, you never here of any horror stories with them. The gearbox is supposed to be a weak point, but then the ones in here all seem to be driven hard and none of them have bust, so it may well be a bit of a watchdog enduced myth, and as for rust, i've never seen a rusty one so they can't be that bad.

And you get a fancy TorSen diff :)

Reply to
Dan405

They have something that's the 600 doesn't have. Character. That's because they're designed by engineers, not just a rebadged Honda.

Not a good argument - given that an older E35 will be in better condition, have better longevity and will handle better.

Perhaps because a 164 V6 is a vastly superior car?

Something that's more than made up for by one of the best engines ever made by any manufacturer. And the handling. Lets not forget that the 600 handles like a wonky shopping trolley in comparison.

Absolute bollocks - the 164 is a very well built car. All the toys in my

75 still work.

I don't know where you've been looking at 164s - but it's rare that even a very early one has any serious rot.

But that's why I also suggested an E34.

Lets face it - the only thing the 600Ti has going for it is that it's fast in a straight line. But we live in the UK, so that's not something that's particularly important.

Reply to
SteveH

That's absolute crap. Old Alfas _don't_ cost a fortune to run. Having had 3 in the last 5 years, this is one myth I can confirm isn't true.

As for E34s - there's still a lot of very nice ones out there with around 100k miles on them, and that's only just run in. Especially for a

535i. And parts are cheap, too - especially from GSF and Eurocarparts. Even genuine BMW bits / servicing is reasonable on older cars.

It still doesn't only gives them the same levels of grip as a puppy on an icerink.

Reply to
SteveH

If "character" means "wondering what won't work this morning," you may be right.

If "character" means "every copper rubbernecking at you on the road" you may also be right.

If by "character" you mean "cool styling," this is all a matter of opinion - if you want to travel fast, a discrete car is usually a better choice than a hoopy spoilered red thing.

_Should_ be in better condition, these Honda job type things last very well.

/cough/

This may or may not be so, but the 600's handling is more than adequate for the target market for the car.

164? 75?

So why the chuff to Saabs sell so well? And Audis? And VWs? Indeed, for that matter, why do powerful cars sell at all?!

Reply to
DervMan

So why do they depreciate very quickly and have a reputation as costing the earth to run?

Have you driven a 600ti or are you merely making this up?

Reply to
DervMan

I have driven a 600ti and it was fast as f*ck and fun to drive, I also used to work for walon who import alfa's and must say the newer alfa's were nice to drive and revvy, but they have a bad name from the "SUD" years, and the people who drive em tend to be die hard Alfa fans.

I would get a TI over any Alfa in the 2k range, if I had to compare an italian car to the TI it would be the Fiat Coupé 20v Turbo

Just my opinion

Ron

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

"Ronny" wrote

Heh, but I bet one can have the timing belt on a TI replaced without a remortgage. Hell, you might even trust a rover dealer to go within 200yards of your TI without charging you £500.

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

If you can stretch to £3k you could find either an Volvo 850 T5 Saloon, or a half decent Saab 9000 Aero. Both largish, fast, powerful, and with toys.

The Aero as a particularly nice recaro interior that you won't find in any other 9000 models.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo